Timing mark pointer or window?

SixPack77

The pointer is at front of engine, left side, just in front of generator. It is attached to the timing chain cover with 2 bolts. Point extends out over harmonic balancer to timing marks... Timing cover is at rear of engine ,left side, just above starter,.... Sorry no picture right now.. John

6 hours ago, SixPack77 said:

Thanks!  It is missing then on my machine.  I did find the hole where it should have been bolted to I believe at about 2 o'clock if one stood facing the  engine.  Steve

the bell housing timing window would have had a snap in metal cover, not bolted. the timing pointer or indicator as pontiac called it is the same part 1949 to 1954 except 1954 with factory a/c.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

pontiac oakland club int'l

This thread is confusing. Are we talking about a pointer on the front of the engine or down in that little hole at the back of the engine?

Did Pontiac ever put a timing mark on the front of the engine on any flathead 6 or 8? If so which ones?

I added a pointer to the front end of my engine. The one inside the little hole under the cover at the back of the engine is just too hard to see.

If you made your own pointer for the front, You can find true top dead center with an extra-large plastic zip-tie. Something with a head about 3/8" thick and a tail so long you cannot possibly lose it. With all the spark plugs removed, and the battery disconnected, shove the zip tie in through the #1 spark plug hole, sideways, so it goes WAY over to the left side. The spark plug holes are over the valves, but you want the head of this zip tie to go not only into the cylinder, but way over to the far left side. Turn the engine with a wrench until the head of the zip tie gets caught between the piston and the cylinder head way over at the left side. Make a mark on the balancer. Now, turn the engine the opposite direction until it stops again. Make another mark. Now you should have 2 marks, (maybe 1" or 1/2" ? apart). Make a mark exactly halfway between the two. This is top dead center. Get the zip tie out.

With only a top dead center mark, you can use a "dialback" timing light to set the timing to spec (if one will work on your car). If you need a real timing mark for the ignition setting there are a couple of ways.

MSD makes "timing tape" for different size balancers. Thats the easy way. Measure yours and see if there is anything made that is close enough. It gives you a whole scale.

Another way is to just measure the circumference of the balancer (the sort of measuring tape used in sewing works good), and divide by 360 (degrees). Multiply this number by the number of degrees you want the ignition timing mark to be at, and that is the distance the ignition mark should be from the top dead center mark.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:26 AM, SixPack77 said:

.That is very helpful as I believe my timing by ear is off..

As mentioned a vacuum gauge is one way to set timing.  Better than your ear is your fingers.  Your sense of feel is much more acute than your hearing.  With the engine fully warmed up and idling,  rest two fingers lightly on the fender and adjust the timing back and forth until you find the smoothest point.  Don't look at anything but the distributor, just feel the engine through the fender.  Fully warmed up means probably a minimum of twenty miles.

7 minutes ago, john hess said:

If you go back to Phil's 51 transmission rebuild page 4, summershandy,(Mark) posted a great picture of the front of the engine showing the timing pointer.... John

How the devil did you remember that! Even I forgot! LOL

I find sometimes there's just so much on this site.....

I try to keep up with the posts that have information I can use.. I learn a lot by listening.. I only butt in when I feel I can contribute... That's what's great about the site... So much information, so little time..!!!.    No, wait l got lotsa time.... My car is still in the paint shop.... 4.5 months.. Painter was sick.... John

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Thanks! What year is your car? Was it made in Canada or the USA?

My Chieftain is a 1952, straight-8 U.S. car...it has a nice suspension; quite a smooth ride.  Switched out the hood ornament from a chrome to a lighted lucite type.

• Like 1