Value needed -1947/48 Packard Convertible parked since 1972

Scott Farrington

Folks:  I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a 1947/48 Packard Convertible "garage find" that has been parked since 1972.  The gentleman who bought the car back in the 70's had intended to restore the car, however, life got in the way yada yada yada.  Now, BEFORE you all get angry with me, I do not have the model number or serial number - I am going to go see the car for the first time tonight and will gather that information to be passed along here.  

The car looks really complete and I was told it was driven in to where it sits under its own power.  Car is a standard transmission car.  Looks to have power windows and top.  There is some minor front passenger side fender damage and the chrome all needs help.

Not certain of the floors.  Paint is cracking and there is visible rust on one fender that I can see.  Title is missing (I would have to bond title the car).  So, I have a pretty complete, most likely improperly stored, 1947/48 Packard convertible that I need to price to this man's widow.  ANY help will be appreciated.  Yes, that is a hose, a ladder, and a cargo carrier on the car!!

IMG_4995.JPEG

IMG_5002.JPEG

IMG_5005.JPEG

IMG_5007.JPEG

Scott:

Packard didn't make a convertible model in 1947 so what you probably have is a 1948/49 model.  Packard ran the 1948 models into 1949 (Series 22), and started the Series 23 models in mid-1949 and ran them through 1950.  If the VIN number has a -9 at the end of it, then it is a Series 22 model that was produced in 1949.  Based on the hood ornament, it could be a Super Eight model as the Eight had an arrow-shaped ornament.  But then you never know since the owner may have opted for a better ornament for his Eight.  The VIN number will tell a lot about the year and model.

I am not an expert on what they are worth so I will leave that to someone else who is more knowledgeable.  I would think knowing the VIN number may help to give a better value of the car.

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I can't tell from the pictures, but we have a couple of guys on here that own 48 Packards.   If it is a Custom Eight or super eight it is worth a lot more than a standard eight.

How do I tell them apart?  Is there a model designation on a trim tag?  Where would one find the trim tag on a 48 Packard?

1948 Packard Super 8 Convertible, model 2279.  Not a Custom 8 which is the more valuable model.    Given the cost of restoration, you would likely have to love this car to come out ahead.  I'll let others peg a value, but suffice it to say, a really good assessment of condition of the floors and whether the engine is stuck will be important.  

• Like 1

Flackmaster knows of what he speaks, thorough assessment of the condition of the body structure regarding rust and whether the engine is stuck are major considerations.  Otherwise, know that any car stored for forty-seven years is going to need every function system restored to its function to a greater or lesser degree.  Appearances such as paint, chrome, interior etc. are secondary at this point.  Packards have great clubs, parts and an extensive knowledge base to call upon if you should purchase this convertible. 

Even if the engine is stuck, its not a "deal breaker" as the engine will likely need an overhaul regardless.  Based on the indoor storage conditions, I would give Vegas odds that the engine is at least rebuildable.  If not, NO big deal, 22-23rd series engines are very easy to come by.

I would focus on body condition...trunk floor, cabin floors, rocker panels, rear quarters and any area where the top well would be subjected to, umm...suffering.  

All right, fine, I'll throw a number out - No more than 5 grand for this project car if the body is super solid, high, dry, storage kept.  If is solid and runs, you might try to catch it.  If the body is soft, I'd run away unless there were gold bricks in the trunk.

• Like 3

Flackmaster gave you solid advice, nice to know that you take it seriously.   Now, will the seller be realistic?  No way to know until the offer is made.   If they're like 90%, they have a totally unrealistic price in mind.   Check the variety of '48-'50 Super Eight convertibles currently for sale in all conditions to get an idea of the price ranges. 

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Flackmaster gave you solid advice, nice to know that you take it seriously.   Now, will the seller be realistic?  No way to know until the offer is made.   If they're like 90%, they have a totally unrealistic price in mind.   Check the variety of '48-'50 Super Eight convertibles currently for sale in all conditions to get an idea of the price ranges. 

Oddly enough, the woman selling the car has made the statement that 'it is not worth much' to the friend she showed it to.  She has also remarked several times that her kids feel it is worth a mint.  According to the person introducing us, she disregards their notions.  The kids are the thorns in my side when it comes to the bonded title I must secure.  I don't want to buy the car only to end up with a dispute down the road.

I will get more photos and see what we can find out about the car, the condition of the floors, engine, and all of the other aspects of the car.  Rumor has it that it lived in California until '72 and was not driven here in the winter for certain.

Thanks to all who have chimed in, I appreciate it.

Your comment about getting a bonded title is excellent. You don't need additional costs and wasted time if you think you will have a problem with any family member. Flackmaster's suggestion about looking at comparable Packard convertibles makes a lot of sense, especially if other cars have clean titles.

The car has hydraulic windows which can be a major PIA to deal with.  I'm not sure but I think the glove box door is off of a Custom and may not be lockable depending on how complete/correct the installation was.  If the engine turns, floors solid, and no major body work, I'd think $5000 would be a screaming good deal.  

• Like 1

Since the 22nd series Super Eight convertible came out in 1947, the "47-8"  label is not really off.  The glove box lid is off a Custom 8.  It appears that the correct chrome-framed glass rear window is gone.  Looks solid but needing pretty much everything.  Hydraulics for top, seat, and windows.

You identified the key issue - realistic price evaluation by owners