Vintage Tour in Canada

Bob Giles

Guest Mark McAlpine

Day 3 (Tues, 6 August 2019):  The AACA Vintage Tour visiting Waupoos Winery in Picton, Ontario, on the shore of Lake Ontario.

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8066.JPG

IMG_8069.JPG

IMG_8070.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8072.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_8074.JPG

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added day & date on the tour (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

Day 5 (Thursday, 8 August 2019):  The AACA Vintage Tour visits Gananoque, Ontario, and takes a boat cruise around the beautiful Thousand Islands region of the St. Lawrence River at the northeast corner of Lake Ontario.

IMG_8237.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8255.JPG

IMG_8260.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG

IMG_8271.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8277.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8313.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Replaced duplicate photo (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

Day 6 (Friday, 9 August 2019):  The AACA Vintage Tour visits Ft. Henry in Kingston, Ontario.  The original fort was built during the War of 1812, then rebuilt in 1832-1837 (the fort we visited) to protect the strategic waterway and Lake Ontario end of the Rideau Canal from possible "invading forces."  (Some of the tour guides referred politely to "possible invaders" until directly asked which possible invaders were the British concerned about, while others specifically said that the fort was built to protect from invading American forces.  Canadians--always very polite, eh?)

IMG_8411.JPG

IMG_8413.JPG

IMG_8418.JPG

IMG_8416.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

IMG_8442.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG

Guest Mark McAlpine

Day 6 (Friday, 9 August):  Regrettably, the AACA Vintage Tour in Kingston, Ontario, had to come to an end.  This was my and Marion's first AACA National Tour.  (We have participated in both our Tidewater Region's "Square Car Tours" and the Old Dominion Meet Association (ODMA) Region's Annual Fall Tours, but this was our first national tour.)  What a great way to be introduced to AACA national touring!  The tour was outstanding:  the cars were great, as were the places we visited, but the best part was the people we got to know and new friends we made on the tour.  Our sincere thanks to everyone who participated in the tour for making it such a great experience.  We enjoyed meeting and speaking with everyone.

Congratulations to the Tour Chair Joe Konarowski and his wife & Registration Chair Lynn Konarowski, for planning & leading such a fun tour.  Thanks also to the Tour Co-Chairs Rick & Diane Morrison for all they contributed to making the tour such a success.  (The first photo below is Joe & Lynn with their 1930 Cadillac onboard the car ferry on Tuesday.  Lynn was seated in the navigator's seat of the car, so may be difficult to see in the photo.  The second photo [from right to left] is of Don Barlup--former AACA President and current VP for National Headquarters & Library--presenting an award from AACA HQ to Joe & Lynn Konarowski and Diane & Rick Morrison for hosting the tour.

Thanks also to our new Canadian friends Dave & Louise Wilson for allowing us to ride with them in their beautiful (and comfortable) 1930 Dodge Brothers DB6 sedan, Joe & Lynn Konarowski for allowing us to ride with them on Thursday in their 1930 Cadillac 353 sedan (also beautiful and comfortable), and Marty & Dale Roth for allowing us to ride with them on Friday in their 1930 Packard 733 touring car (also beautiful and comfortable).

What a great introduction to touring!  We're already looking forward to our next tour and, we hope, to returning soon to Canada for another AACA national activity.

IMG_8058.JPG

IMG_8505.JPG

Glad you and Bob enjoyed the tour Marty and seeing everyone again. We received some very nice emails from folks that were on tour on how they enjoyed themselves. We learned a great deal on running a tour that involved two different banking systems and next time registration will be at least 2 months earlier. We had to turn people away that we did not want to seeing funds were held for 30 days was one issue. But all worked out well.

I was thinking on our first coffee stop Monday morning when we had 4 cars with issues the first hr. that we were going to keep our recovery vehicle busy that week. But every time someone pulled over it was fixed and back on the road in no time. Not one car had to be towed all week that I am aware of.

Michael  in that 1907 Darracq 20/28 Tourer  that is also the feature car in the HCCA Gazette this month came buy himself really had a good time. He even dressed the part the whole week from  duster to goggles. I noticed folks were parking their car for the day to tour with him and even Don Barlup spent Friday as his navigator. Come to think now I never got a ride in it myself. I know fellows that do not come on tour by themselves for lack of navigator is an issue that should be addressed some way.

Another point is I think if we did not have a hub tour we would not have gotten the early brass cars out like Michaels that makes the group more aged.

2019-08-04 2019 kingston vintage tour 011.JPG

2019-08-03 2019 kingston vintage tour 009.JPG

2019-08-03 2019 kingston vintage tour 007.JPG

IMG_7947.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Many, Many thanks to Joe and Lynne Konarowski, and to Rick and Dianne Morrison, not only for the massive amount of planning and effort, but for making the AACA 2019 Vintage Tour an absolute pleasure. They assured that we were fed, had friendly routes to drive, and even arranged three separate short but thorough "car washes". 

Joe, you and I have worked and planned toward this for quite some time, and it has been my pleasure to have come to know you and Lynne so much better. Dale and I look forward to continued cooperation, and expect to continue sharing in the many activities of Ontario Region as we are able, and as Dale's health permits.

We were delighted to be able to share our Packard with passengers. Thank you Don Barlup, Larry Schramm, Fred and Marilyn Lewis, Mark and Marion McAlpine. Each of them managed to stay relatively dry during the short but memorable cloudbursts. The major portions of each day were a delight, and together with our passengers we got to share some laughs along the way as we learned a bit more of the history and geography of our Canadian neighbors. While Dale and I had previously participated on a week-long Ontario Region tour, it was truly a pleasure to be a part of this International Event - and it was most certainly memorably in a most positive way.

Again, thank you for everything. We look forward to seeing y'all "DOWN THE ROAD".

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:45 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

What a great introduction to touring!  We're already looking forward to our next tour and, we hope, to returning soon to Canada for another AACA national activity.

Well Mark if we ever do another tour in Ontario it will be 2 Hr. to the west of Kingston  just 45 min. east of Toronto. Home of the McLaughlin Motor Car Company where GM is in the process of building a new test track. One of the have to attractions would be a tour of this facility which is fantastic as they take you through all 5 of the test chambers.  One of the most sophisticated testing facility's in the  world.    https://ace.ontariotechu.ca/testing-https://ace.ontariotechu.ca/index.php

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Well Mark if we ever do another tour in Ontario it will be 2 Hr. to the west of Kingston  just 45 min. east of Toronto. Home of the McLaughlin Motor Car Company where GM is in the process of building a new test track. One of the have to attractions would be a tour of this facility which is fantastic as they take you through all 5 of the test chambers.  One of the most sophisticated testing facility's in the  world.    https://ace.ontariotechu.ca/testing-https://ace.ontariotechu.ca/index.php

I'm sorry I missed this tour this year. If you do another up in Toronto, we'll be there!

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 9/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Marion & I are ready to return to Ontario--count us in, Joe.  And we know that if you and Lynne are organizing it, it's going to be great. 

Hey, if you submit you application to host by the end of the month, I can present it to the AACA Board of Directors for approval at their Board Meeting in Hershey.  Just kidding, but I hope you submit an application soon because I want to know the dates of the tour so Marion & I can block them out on our calendar now.  Thanks again for the great Vintage Tour this summer--it was an experience we'll always remember and treasure.