The Firetruck works!

I bought some Lycoming V-12 engines that came out of a 1944 LaFrance ladder truck. Tried to give the fire truck to the fire station in Star. They did not want it. I do agree with you on the safety thing. When I was dealing with the City of Star, that is what the Mayor said. Safety, safety, he told me. Right before getting on the committee the fire station went bankrupt. Lost around 200-300K if I remember correctly. A neighboring City took it over. One question I could never get answered, is the fire station an asset of the City? I had a document that said in order to annex your lands into the city. A person/developer has to invest in a portion of the cities assets. Like I said, I could not get an answer. Even asked my old neighbor Bill. He is not a fire Marshall, works at Idaho power. 

3 hours ago, 48Firetruck said:

Nice Truck. I have a 48 Mack that came out of Bethlehem PA. It had been abandoned for 10 years in a fence row then sat in pieces in a barn for 13 years while we gathered all the missing parts to restore it. Lots of fun to drive around and I've been known to pull into the local ice cream stand with lights and siren to extinguish an "ice cream cone emergency".

Not wanting to be taken too serious, I named my private Fire Dept. the "Littlelate Volunteer Fire Company", we offer same day service in most cases 🙂

IMG_20170408_145424815_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170408_145356976.jpg

Very nice truck. Looks like it has all the toys.

19 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I bought some Lycoming V-12 engines that came out of a 1944 LaFrance ladder truck. Tried to give the fire truck to the fire station in Star. They did not want it. I do agree with you on the safety thing. When I was dealing with the City of Star, that is what the Mayor said. Safety, safety, he told me. Right before getting on the committee the fire station went bankrupt. Lost around 200-300K if I remember correctly. A neighboring City took it over. One question I could never get answered, is the fire station an asset of the City? I had a document that said in order to annex your lands into the city. A person/developer has to invest in a portion of the cities assets. Like I said, I could not get an answer. Even asked my old neighbor Bill. He is not a fire Marshall, works at Idaho power. 

I live just outside of a small town about 40 minutes south of Portland. Our town is just a few miles from the county line of what is referred to as the tri-counties.

The tri-counties is Portland Metro and the sprawl is knocking at our door.

Our forever long time fire department was in trouble and the for profit fire conglomeration up north somehow convinced our department to turn it over to them.

We did get to vote on this which I opposed but passed anyway.

As a result out tax now goes to this out fit that is part of 'Metro' and they now own all of our stations.

Now they have convinced the city to build a monstrous tower on our city public works lot. Its just a couple hundred yards to a high hill that already has communication towers on it but oh no.

Our city fathers are letting them build a tower that is taller than the tops of the towers that are on that hill. And we have to pay for it. (so they can communicate to the total of metro)

Most of our small city is ignorant to this as its kind of a hush hush thing, but I know because I own property near the city yard.

I guess what I am getting at is the small town and volunteer fire dept. thing doesn't seem to work any more.

Unfortunately it seems that fire and rescue has become big business. And in this case supported with tax dollars.

I'm on a vol fire dept in a small town in Indiana. I've been on the dept for 30+ years now. I've seen the ups and downs through the years. As for fighting fires, a lot has changed in those years. When I started, we ran 3 medical runs to 1 fire run. Today it's about 10 medical to 1 fire. The technics have come a long way. Our dept is 100% volunteer. We are expected to know as much as a paid dept.. We just had a fire that was started by a charcoal grill that was too close to the house. We were able to save it. Pretty good for a bunch of regular joes that just are willing to put there life on the line just to help others

i love the truck

Edited by Mike "Hubbie" Stearns (see edit history)
  • Like 2