More cars for sale

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

NEVER buy a used car in the rain.

I think that's why a bunch of the barn fresh cars are still soaking wet from their bath to make the finish look a whole lot better than it is when they take the photos.  It's really annoying as it's hard to gauge how nice the chrome may be as well with all the water droplets all over it.  Is the chrome pitted or just wet.  We all know how fast cars dry like that,  so they must have just put the hose down and picked the camera up. 

• Like 1

I was in Jim Graham's barns numerous times. He never wanted to sell anything - liked to look at them, he said. 1 barn was all project cars. Dirt floor so there was plenty of rust on the undersides.  They call it a collection. It wasn't/isn't. It is a hoard. He didn't collect he hoarded. For him it was all about getting the car & preventing the other guy from getting it. Once he got it, his interest soon faded. A second barn had all cars that were excellent originals or nicely restored. This one had concrete floors, but unfortunately, it was never closed up. Doors were left open & various other openings let the pigeons & raccoons come and go as they pleased. There was pigeon & raccoon crap all over every car. Worse yet, some of the convertibles had the tops left down so the crap was inside the car. The '59 Caddy convert was really nice the first time I saw it. Also was a '59 Chevy convert with a 6 stick & 7000 actual miles.

George

I appreciate your 1st hand account.  I still see several cars that I want, want to bid on.  If anyone is going to the auction, I would like to work with you as my on-site 'boots on the ground.'   I have a long planned family vacation from August 3 to August 10, so I certainly can not make it. 

I kind of agree with your assessment George that most of these collections that still exist have the needle moving toward the hoarding side BUT he paid for them, brought them in, and in America, in some locations, that is still allowed. 

You know if he wanted to sell - his prices would have been 3 to 4 times true market.  And they still would have sat.  It is true he should have bought a few less cars and stored them better.  

I know Yvette, not personally, but I have attended 4 of her auctions and purchased 3 cars out of auctions (in person once and on-line twice) and almost felt like a shill bidder on several of them. I "bet" with my head not my emotion, so I often started the bidding on cars and then never finished as the high bidder. Obviously, 3 times I did.   Of those 3 cars, only one was truly restorable.  The other two were really junk. 

She is no dummy.  There are virtually NO PHOTOS of the raccoon and rodent poop filled interiors. Therefore George, your account is very valuable.  In my opinion, Yvette does no service by not mentioning that and taking photos and forcing those family members to clean that "s---" up (literally and figuratively) to maximize sales.  Maybe they have since dragging them out, who knows?    By leaving the poundage of debris in the cars, if that is the case, then on site bidding will be lower, maybe not appreciably for truly rare cars, but $100 here, $200 there will add up.  Versus getting cousin Joe to spend a weekend cleaning out the cars for $100 and making an additional $5000 + on the sales. 

I might ask permission to go up there and inspect on site prior to the auction so I have a better idea of what is what, but in reality I am space challenged and likely will just grab some popcorn and watch along (Proxibid).  

The last 2 auction I either attended or monitored were lightly attended, with low bids on mostly closed 2nd level collector cars, NOT the typical muscle cars, convertibles with a following etc.    Money may run out depending on where Yvette has the cars staged, and then you might get some still desirable 2 door models for $1000 or less. 

The last auction I was at - not a Vanderbrink auction - 5 60's convertibles such as a 67 Imperial Convertible, a 65 Mercury Park Lane, Cadillac, all sold for $750 or less!  I mean c'mon!   Vanderbrinks advertising, including my email - reaches far and wide after 20 + years, and these sorts of fun auctions whether you buy or not are getting less and less - so I think it will be well attended both on-line and in person.  Still, if folks bid realistically, knowing that in high summer season the transport costs add $2.50 a mile - maybe it forces some reality on some bids.  We will see.

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1