Drivers side 64 turn signal housing: this is a mystery

bodayguy

So the lower parking lamp doesn’t work and I have never been able to get it to work. I was planning to just buy another housing and see if that works. However, I have a 64. But only 2 bulbs?!? And a blank spot above?! What is this?

AFE3E472-2CC5-4B16-AA08-70E61D53EA11.jpeg

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)

7 hours ago, bodayguy said:

So the lower parking lamp doesn’t work and I have never been able to get it to work. I was planning to just buy another housing and see if that works. However, I have a 64. But only 2 bulbs?!? And a blank spot above?! What is this?

What Chuck has suggested is a good place to start. I had the exact same problem when I first got my car. Nothing I did would get them to work and then someone suggested checking the firewall plug. I pulled the firewall plug out and there was a significant amount of grime on the connectors. I cleaned the connectors up good and my parking lights worked. 

Bill

9 hours ago, bodayguy said:

You have an early style parking lamp assembly. The later style has 2 small parking lamp bulbs instead of just one as in your assembly.

Tom Mooney

11 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

What Chuck has suggested is a good place to start. I had the exact same problem when I first got my car. Nothing I did would get them to work and then someone suggested checking the firewall plug. I pulled the firewall plug out and there was a significant amount of grime on the connectors. I cleaned the connectors up good and my parking lights worked. 

Bill

That's a good suggestion, I have never pulled off that firewall plug but it looks OK from the outside and since my passenger side lamp does work, I think it's just that the assembly and the light socket no longer properly ground. I have cleaned the socket and even re-spliced the wiring and all I end up doing is blowing the fuse.

Inside the socket is a spring that exerts pressure on the wire that touches base of the bulb. If that spring is compressed, the wire won't make contact with the base of the bulb.  The colored wire should be able to be moved an 1/8" or so inside the rubber boot.  As the boots get old and hard, sometimes the springs are trapped into the compressed position.  If you look on YouTube, you can find videos that will explain what you need to do to get everything back to normal.  Have you tried testing the continuity with a test light rather than a bulb?  Any ground and the tip of the test light probe against the brass end of the wire.  Could be corrosion on the end of the wire as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys further mystery. I bought a new housing and now both lamps go on at the parking setting but now this particular turn signal won’t flash or go on in that setting.

(FYI the wiring connector wasn’t a match either but it IS a three wire housing).

BE62157F-FBA4-47D7-B826-AF5DACD0E400.jpeg

Ok so the car has the three prong connector but only a two-bulb housing. Does that make any sense?

UPDATE: I'm going to try using the newer wiring connectors in the original housing. I hope maybe it's just a bad connection on the turn signal bulb. The parking lamp connector in my original housing is very corroded, but the one in the replacement housing is nice. 

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)