One Seal keeping my Buick off the Road

SteveSeiwald

Dear Members

I've been looking everywhere for this seal. It fits on the front of the 3 speed manual (synchromesh) of my 59 Buick.  It is a complex seal so a general won't work. I think pretty much any year from the mid fifties on up with the torque tube three speed manual will work. I've been restoring this car for  25 years and would like to finish it before I'm too old to enjoy it. Thanks for your Help Steve 

seal.jpg

Edited by SteveSeiwald (see edit history)

Are there any casting or stamped numbers on the seal for additional ID?  What might the GM part number be for possible NOS/swap meet sourcing?  Where on the trans/torque tube assy is it located?

I know the stick-shift Buicks of that era have somewhat cult-like followings, but the low installation rates of the manual trans also can hurt in replacement parts availability.  How much different is that seal from a similar Chevy application, for example.  But Chevy got rid of torque tubes/enclosed driveshafts in '54, as I recall.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SteveSeiwald said:

Thank you kgreen. I called them and the guy who answered the phone actually knew what I was talking about and he is sending it to me. So, I've got my fingers crossed.

Steve, I made one using a rubber o-ring.  Mine is a 54 manual .  It is the same set up for the oil sling and throwout bearing support.  I had to use a dremel tool to grind down the rubber o-ring to make it work.  Also, cork gasket material cut to fit inside the oil sling by the bearing works as well.  

Let me know how this works out for you.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

9 hours ago, SteveSeiwald said:

Thank you avgwarhawk

I appreciate the detailed info how to make one.

Steve

Steve,

I called this shop as well.  I needed to get my case casting numbers.  I will see what they send me.  I have received one that claims to work for my manual.  There is no way it would work.  Once the seal is squished between the oil sling and throwout bearing support the shaft would not spin very well. 

If what is sent to you does not work, I fashioned a cork seal from a sheet of cork. Sometimes one has to make the part or seal.    Worked just fine.  Currently working on a 3 speed for my 54(original to the car).  I was in search of the proper seal for the input shaft.  Hopefully what they send me works. 

IMAG0788_zps898d958b.jpg    

IMAG0785_zps12301010.jpg

Steve,

I called the shop again,  they are very knowledgeable.   For my application he knew there was a gasket and a spring washer to retain the throwout bearing support.  I needed those as well.  Also, my application is a cork seal for the input shaft which I ordered as well.    In speaking with them I'm confident what seal your are sent will work.   

When you get your seal let use know how it works out!     

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SteveSeiwald said:

Well, this is what they sent me......so I'm getting started on making one like avgwarhawks.

seal.png

The smaller rubberized cork o-ring will work. It sits between the oil sling and the throw out bearing support. In my picture were I made the cork gasket, this is wear it will sit.  Understand this is not a high pressure oil situation. It only needs to keep back any gear oil that may find its way between the oil sling and throw out bearing support sleeve. Stand by. I'll send you a picture of mine as I received the same seal. 

The seal only needs to keep gear oil from finding its way up the input shaft onto the clutch plate through the small gap between the oil sling and throw out bearing support. It is not a high oil pressure situation.  The cork seal will fill the gap similar to what a rope seal does. I also plan on using a rubber o-ring in the groove on the input shaft. In reality the rubberized cork O-ring is supposed to be in this groove on the shaft.  I find it is too thick.  I pushed to the bottom of the shaft and allow it to to seal between the oil sling and throw out bearing support.   The large metal ring in your package is used to hold the throw out bearing support to the bell house. Should be a gasket for the large ring as well. Do you have an assembly diagram of the 3 speed transmission?   

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Steve,

I am a newbie to the forum, but that parts you received from Bob's, is that a metal concave type retainer in the package? I have rebuilt several Buick manual transmissions, both leaked oil also before rebuild, and found the retainer # 1302021 group # 4.361 for the clutch bearing support (that looks like was in the package from Bob's) was missing from both of my cars, someone used a tube of RTV between bell housing and transmission to prevent leak,(did not work). When the support is installed into bell housing, line up with notch in bell housing, then the retainer goes in and has to line up with  opening in notch of retainer to line up so transmission oil can drain back into transmission. When transmission is tightened up, the retainer puts pressure on the support to help create sealing. If retainer is left out, it will leak transmission oil. I hope this helps out.

Bob

16 minutes ago, NailheadBob said:

Steve,

I am a newbie to the forum, but that parts you received from Bob's, is that a metal concave type retainer in the package? I have rebuilt several Buick manual transmissions, both leaked oil also before rebuild, and found the retainer # 1302021 group # 4.361 for the clutch bearing support (that looks like was in the package from Bob's) was missing from both of my cars, someone used a tube of RTV between bell housing and transmission to prevent leak,(did not work). When the support is installed into bell housing, line up with notch in bell housing, then the retainer goes in and has to line up with  opening in notch of retainer to line up so transmission oil can drain back into transmission. When transmission is tightened up, the retainer puts pressure on the support to help create sealing. If retainer is left out, it will leak transmission oil. I hope this helps out.

Bob

The clutch bearing support retainer comes with the input seal from Northwest Transmissions.    Good to go there.   Before I knew one was available I used a sheet of gasket and cut out a circle then doubled it up with another hand made gasket.   It worked!  I eventually pulled the transmission and installed the retainer.    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...