Really Older Buicks

I am not yet a member of the BCA and am wondering whether or not there is a place for me in the organization.<P>Please don't anyone become offended by this.<P>I am interested in Buicks of the teens and '20s. From what I see on here most of the posts relate to post war Buicks, Vietnam war that is. Does the BCA really have any interest in these early Buicks or am I wasting my time and money by joining. <P>I am too old to ever become involved with the more modern iron, so would someone give me an honest answer. Join, or forget about it. Again, I do not want to offend, but would really like an answer.

I've been a BCA member for over 20 years, and while my main interest is in late 40's & early 50's, please believe me when I say there is SUBSTANTIAL interest in the teens & 20's cars in this club. Those individuals may not be as active on this forum as the rest of us, but they are very active at our Regional and National meets! I think that you will find your association with the Buick Club of America to be a very rewarding experience. You will have the opportunity to meet and share information with some of the most knowledgable individuals in the world. My family and I have met friends from all over the world as a result of our activities with the BCA, and I hope you will take a chance and get to know this very large BCA "family".<P>Mike Book BCA # 9202

I think you will find that most of the members with older Buicks have other things to do rather than play on the computers. I have been in the BCA since 1969 and will echo Mike's statement. There are many teens and twenties Buicks in the BCA,and many knowledgeable people who can help you if you need a part or answers to a question. I have enjoyed my membership and feel that the BCAis a part of my family<P>Joe Taubitz BCA# 1308

I've belonged to more than 20 different car clubs over the years, and I must say that the BCA is by far the best at balance among it's members and the eras of vehicles it represents. Excepting <I> maybe </I> the Model T guys, I think your club support from the BCA will probably be the envy of any of your fellow brass/nickel era enthusiasts.<P>And frankly, cars of the post-1970 era of all makes generally give us the most trouble and reason for "discussion". That is why you see so much here about them. <P>I'd suggest you post a specific question here about your car, and watch for the responses. If you don't get what you need here on the forum, I'm sure the club's tech advisors for the early cars can help you or point you in the direction of help if your's is a model without an assigned advisor.

I feel the same about the club,if there are a lot of prewar Buicks,where are they, why not a separate section in the DF for them.There is a web site for prewar Buicks,and something like it should be part of the club also. I guess this means I have to renew my membership now. I have a 1922-6-55 Sport Touring and have had many teens and twenty's Buicks; 11-#14,16-#46,22-#47,24-#45,25-#40,29-#47,30-#47,32-#57,and 41-#61,and I see very little about the early Buicks in any club publication. Why?????? Look at the AACA DF and you will find more about eary buicks there than this one. jbbuick22

I too have been a member of the BCA for over 20 years. I concur with all the responses that being a BCA member has a lot of advantages as a source of parts and information for very old Buicks. I also do not want to offend anyone. But from my experience, interest in VERY old cars is declining in the BCA. I think this is normal and just reflects the view of the public in general. I am a realist and I understand (but don't agree with), the view that if a car has wood spoked wheels and doesn't have turn signals it should be in a museum. Personally, because I am in my early 40's and have interest in Buicks prior to 1930, I get my share of "why would you want something that old?" attitude from BCA'ers and non-BCA'ers alike. You'll get used to it after a while. I really encourage you to join the BCA. Your interest in Buicks alone means you have something to offer other members in the way of information about a particular car, part, etc. That can be invaluable to someone like me. And I'm not alone, just in the vast minority.<BR>Thanks for letting me vent!

Guest elk93001

I am mainly into 1950s-80's Buicks (Buck tooth grills to turbos) However, one of the reasons why I joined was to learn a little more about older Buicks (wood spokes and all!). <BR>As you would profit from the many resources available by belonging to this group, BCA would gain in what you would have to share about your favorite Buicks. <P>

An important benefit of BCA membership is that you will receive the roster of all members, including a listing of all members who own the models of Buick you are interested in. This gives you the information you need to begin networking with others who have a strong interest in these cars.<P>A BCA national meet is also an excellent place to connect with other fans of the early Buicks.

Now, as Paul Harvey says, for the rest of the story.<P>I joined the BCA more than 20 years ago. At that time I owned a '24. I found little in the Bugle relating to early Buicks. <P>I attended a regional meet trailering the '24 many miles. At the show I found my car 14 years older than the next oldest car. <BR>After the '38 everything else was MUCH newer.<BR>Believe me, at such a meet there is no one for an OLD car guy to talk to.<P>I stuck it out for 10 years and just saw the cars get newer, and lost interest in going to activities where I was the only really old Buick present. In 1990 I gave up and let my membership lapse. I have found more early Buicks on AACA tours than I ever saw at BCA functions.<P>I was considering another try, but is there really a place in this club for the OLD Buicks. I liked one person's suggestion that there be an "Old Buick" section along with the others on this forum.<P>Thank you all for listening and offering opinions.

Well another problem with older Buicks. Just not many out there.Just try and find a good radiator shell for a 25 Standard! I have a 1925 and I know a few other poster on this forum have 20's era Buicks. Because they have answered my questions. But the cars don't get used much to have things happen so we can ask more questions. I still check this forum everyday although I don't post very offen.

I have been a member of the BCA for 18 years, and would echo the sentiments of the other members. Although you see more information on this website that refers to "newer Buicks," I feel that this is because some of these people are younger and like to use the computer to communicate. As Centurion mentioned, "it is a great networking tool" for "like-minded people." It is not easy to find parts for many of the older Buicks, and the roster and the Nationals are valuable tools. It also gives you the opportunity to see other parts of this country, while talking about Buicks! <P>I would encourage you to give the BCA a "test-drive" and see for yourself. We need to have many knowledgable people around so that future generations (I'm 36), can learn about this history and enjoy these cars.<P>Regards,<P>------------------<BR>Frank Lee<BR>BCA # 14103<BR>franklee@uplink.net

As with any organization one might name, the benefit you receive from the BCA is directly proportional to the effort you invest. The content of the Buick Bugle magazine reflects the material submitted by the membership. If owners of older Buicks are concerned that the content is not adequately oriented toward the early cars, the only way that will change is for the owners of those cars to contribute regularly and encourage others with similar cars to do the same.<P>Likewise, I can understand the concern about small numbers of early Buicks showing up at the meets. Again, the only way to change that is to be there with your old Buick and work hard to contact other owners of these cars, encouraging them to be there as well.<P>I am confident that, even if you have the only early Buick at a local or regional meet, those of us with newer cars will be appreciative that you brought it out. These cars are a great reminder of Buick's wonderful history, and I would be very sad to see these cars disappear from our events.<P>The point should again be made that the NATIONAL meets tend to attract a significant showing of the early cars, even if the local or regional shows do not.<P>I believe that the BCA needs to be the club where owners of the early Buicks feel welcomed and understand that their participation is valuable. Speaking for myself, I will make a point of seeking out the owners of any early Buicks that join us for shows or tours during the upcoming season; I want to let them know that I'm glad they came.

My answer is I agree with all of the above. Join the BCA, again for all of the above reasons. On the local front I stopped going to local meets(non BCA) cruises, etc cuz theyve all seemed to turn into street rod & muscle car meets & I havent got one iota of interest in any of that. But still Im proud & love my 40s & 50s era cars, like you love your relic. Good luck/happy hunting

Certainly you are not wasting your money by joining as I haven't seen any charges coming my way since I joined. Teens? 20's? why not ?? We're all car people & hopefully can appreciate lots of interests !

Older Buicks,<P>Don't know where you are but the San Gabriel Valley chapter here in So. Calif. has a really super show each year and they average 15-25 pre 40 cars (including an '05 that my three daughters enjoyed at the 1999 show since the owner was giving rides to anyone who wanted one - they went three times.<P>Good luck,<BR>Gene

Well, I agree with most everything said previously. As a 1928 Town Brougam owner for the past 15 years, I can honestly say that it has always gathered a crowd wherever we went. If you want to get on the freeway and cruise at 65 then an early car is not for you. We like to stick to the side roads and do our cruising at 45 or so. You can still get most parts from vendors and rebuilders, and really mine has not needed any type of major repair for a real long time. I would say that I put on about 600 miles a year on the car. It is reliable and fun to drive.<P>John

I would recommend you join the BCA along with the rest of the crowd here. I have been a member for 29 years, and have enjoyed the Bugle Magazine every month over the years. I have never been able to attend a national meet, but did attend a regional here in the northwest once. The Bugle is a resource for parts and those who have technical knowledge to help us as well. I wouldn't let my membership drop for anything! It's just too good.

Join us and see if you like it. You can also go to the local chapter if there is one near you and meet the people near you who love Buicks. You do not have to be a member to attend their meeting. You are correct, there is not much said about the early Buicks but I have noticed that when something is mentioned, there is a response.<P>One of the previous comments said drive the side roads. Not me, I drive my 1928 Buick pick up converted from a model 51 broham on the freeways, wood wheels and all, at 45 mph in the slow lane. I would go faster but it smokes over 45. Since we got this one in 1982, we have put 57,000 miles on it. If I can't drive it, I do not need it. It still starts up immediatly and runs on the vacuum tank. I like early Buicks and I like the people in the club.