Franklin Models

rjp

As far as I know, no production of any. There have been some individual ones made by Club members long ago.

The best one to ask is send a pm to Walt G. He's a former Franklin owner and long-time club member. He's been a toy car collector/restorer for many decades. If anyone would know, he would.

Paul

My wife and I researched this fairly extensively a few years ago with a very knowledgeable collector and found no Franklin models. There was a small, very limited edition Franklin model produced by the Franklin Museum in Arizona, but I believe it was not for sale.

ca. 1949 to early 1950s Hudson Miniatures had an "old timers" series of models that you could buy and put together. They made a Franklin Cross engine runabout. The kits had parts of plastic ( wheels and some lamps) wood, and cardboard. If you have the patience and take your time the model can be built and look pretty good/accurate. When the company folded due to lack of interest in the cars ( because they were difficult to build in that era) Austin Clark bought all the remaining models they had left and sold them via his L.I. Auto Museum. There was also a cast iron toy  ( not model) made in the 1932-33 era about 6 inches long that resembled a Franklin Olympic - I believe the toy company that made it didn't specifically want to make a Franklin Olympic but copied the style of the Reo Flying Cloud and then created their own design for the shell, which did look very Franklin Olympic like.

One Franklin model was scratch built that I know of in the early 1970s at great cost for someone in Westchester County , NY. Do not recall the name or who it was. This information was passed on to me by my good friend Gates Willard who was a collector of realistic period toys. Gates knew quality and accuracy when he saw it and confirmed that this did indeed look like a Franklin and was about 1/25th scale. It was of a 1930-31 sedan. It was commissioned to be built by a person whose Dad had one of those cars new. If I recall correctly the cost to do so was about $1,000 at the time. I did see photos of it finished and it was absolutely beautiful.

There are several ( I know of at least 3) scale models built when the Franklins were new. These were made of wood and on a large scale , more like patent models, not models that you would display on a shelf. Two , the last I knew of were located in central NY State, and I have one that is just the body for a series 10 ( ca. 1922-24 era) two door sedan in excellent scale but is about 16 inches wide by 2 feet long by about 18 inches high, very heavy . This was made by and for the company that produced enclosed bodies for Franklin in that era or wanted to get the commission to do so. I bought it from someone in New England about 20 years ago after seeing it on e bay sitting in 3 inches of snow on their back deck posed there for pictures.

• Like 3

The Hudson Miniatures show up on eBay, I have one and attempted to build one many many decades ago.  They are not for the fumble fingered.

I remember seeing pictures of the model made in Arizona and was not impressed with the fidelity of scale.  There was just something that was "off" about it.

Gordon

• Like 1

I am sure if someone decides to make a model of a Franklin and it is a decent one it will be posted here by someone to let all know , or on the Franklin Club website with the word FINALLY!!!!

Gentlemen, among my many vices is "0" scale railroading. As a result I have come across many interesting automobiles in 1/43 scale. Although I haven't found a Franklin, I have found a car very similar in looks and style. If you go to Ebay and type in 1934 renault solido you will find a car that looks like a Franklin town sedan with a series 19 front end. Also on page 297 of "The Franklin Story" by Thomas Hubbard there's a one page clip about models.

Then of course if your just interested in the last car that Franklin had anything to do with, at least the power plant part, there are many Tucker models out there.

• Like 1