Are Reattas being bought and sold?

Barney Eaton

30 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

the results are nice for a while unless you work at them all the time.

I had them on my car for three or four years after I polished them and they never were a problem.  This is a photo I used in the CL ad when I sold them.

mustan_wheels-3.JPG.aa6c87440236ae6907ab8143845c1f06.JPG

On 4/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, Barney Eaton said:

We all see the traffic on the Reatta discussion has diminished.    We get an occasional new owner asking the typical Reatta question,  but are there people out there actually looking for a Reatta?

I had a call yesterday from a fellow in Peoria ILL saying he inherited 1990 coupe and convertible from his dad.   He indicated that he had other collectable cars and seemed to be on the fence on whether to keep or sell the cars.

I suspect that some of you regulars on the discussion might upgrade if something better came along .........but just wondering if anyone is actually buying Reattas as a collectable car.

PS I made an attempt to get a new listing of registered Reattas from R.L.Polk and got no response.......my good contact lost his job and last year a co-worker sent the list to me but it looks like we will not be getting updates.

Getting back to Barney's original post, from a consumer's perspective, my experience having sold 13 Reattas is...no.

About 10 of the cars sold to people who had discretionary funds and was looking for a car from their youth they would drive on weekends. Some were looking  at Mustangs, Camaros, Allantes, Chryslers. They were not looking specifically for a Reatta - just a car to recapture memories. Their ages ranged from 50-70ish.

One car sold to a gentleman who was an 88 year old retired Air Force colonel. He bought the car to drive for a month or two with the intention of giving it to his grandson. He was looking for an Allante or Corvette but found my listing on CL. The other two cars (which were coupes) were purchased from blue collar guys looking for a weekend car. Both these cars were in better then average condition. But far from the condition the other 11 were in.

Not one bought the car assuming it was/would be a collectible and nobody specifically sought after the Reatta. This (and the previous) generation collects sneakers - not cars.

As for the forum diminishing, it's generational. Most of those who don't wear Depends that have a Reatta have migrated to Facebook. But I think as a whole, the collector car hobby took a big hit from the 2008 recession and has not recovered. 

12 hours ago, Bushwack said:

About 10 of the cars sold to people who had discretionary funds and was looking for a car from their youth they would drive on weekends. Some were looking  at Mustangs, Camaros, Allantes, Chryslers. They were not looking specifically for a Reatta - just a car to recapture memories. Their ages ranged from 50-70ish.

You described how I came to buy my Reatta perfectly with with a few exceptions.  I was looking for a unique car that not everyone would have. Something that was good looking and comfortable for a big man to drive for extended periods on the scenic backroads through the mountains.  My previous weekend toy was a Fiero Formula and before that a MR2. I loved them both but they were just too small for me. and neither of them had power steering, which was a requirement for my wife to share in the fun of driving them  Although it is front wheel drive, the Reatta feels a lot like you are driving a larger luxury version of a Fiero. By that I mean it's a little under powered, not the best handling 2-seater on the road and it wasn't built to be a true sports car. If I had known at the time that the Reatta was so unique that I would rarely see another one I probably wouldn't have bought it.

12 hours ago, Bushwack said:

As for the forum diminishing, it's generational. Most of those who don't wear Depends that have a Reatta have migrated to Facebook.

Why do you think that is? Before Marck shut the facebook page down for viewing by the public (probably my fault) , I would stop in from time to time and read the posts. I saw a lot of cars for sale posts and when a repair question was asked you got mostly opinions and not a lot facts for answers.  Does facebook attract Reatta owners to it or are the Depends wearing old guys like me running them away from the forum?  There must something to facebook that I don't see, perhaps it's because  Depends wearers' tend to have cataracts that blurs our vision. :)

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Wheels and tires are one of the things you can change on any auto to make it different, more to your liking, or just because you want to......... and they can be changed back to stock in 30 minutes.

I almost purchased some Pontiac 18" wheels last week.......they were in good condition, the price was right, but I have way too many projects, so I let them go.

Someone earlier talked about this discussion group and the people here that help maintain interest and drivability of the Reatta.

This is a great site and there are lots of people that keep it interesting and informative.

One person that seldom post but has been a big help since 1996 is Tom Jenkins........his site www.reatta.net  has hosted the Reatta database since the late '90's

Tom is always asking if I have updates and there are changes being made.   Keep checking that site and you will find some new info. 

Tom owned a Reatta when he worked in Hawaii when we first got together....he moved back to somewhere up north to be near relatives and finally settled in Ocala Fl.  

He has not owned a Reatta in at least 15 years but still offers his help and database knowledge which I appreciate greatly.

I have owned 11 Reattas (I think) and only have a '91 coupe now.  Most of what I know, is with the help, and information sharing of all the people here.

There was a time when someone had a question and I would go to my car and sometime actually take the part off

so I could help tell/explain what I thought was the answer to the question.

• Thanks 1

Came much the same way: wanted a Fiero with more luggage space. Bought my 88 in 2001 and was my daily driver for about a decade (was my only car for about a year) before buying the 'vert simply because I have trouble thinking about cars without a 'vert. Actually have four sets of wheels since is also a set of 16x7 Enkeis in a  pattern I like.

However the stripe on my triple blue coupe is gold so the gold Bonneville weeks match there but for the 'vert I agree, black is best and natural would be second but is harder to find than gold.

That said times change and my next car will probably be an XLR (I like retractables and prices are almost in reach) and while I still like the 'vert and has had a number of high-dollar replacements (Haartz top in blue to match the interior, cold AC, bluetooth...) I drive my SLK retractible more and the 'vert does not have the computer screen in the dash.

enkei.jpg

On 5/5/2019 at 7:10 AM, Ronnie said:

You described how I came to buy my Reatta perfectly with with a few exceptions.  I was looking for a unique car that not everyone would have. Something that was good looking and comfortable for a big man to drive for extended periods on the scenic backroads through the mountains.  My previous weekend toy was a Fiero Formula and before that a MR2. I loved them both but they were just too small for me. and neither of them had power steering, which was a requirement for my wife to share in the fun of driving them  Although it is front wheel drive, the Reatta feels a lot like you are driving a larger luxury version of a Fiero. By that I mean it's a little under powered, not the best handling 2-seater on the road and it wasn't built to be a true sports car. If I had known at the time that the Reatta was so unique that I would rarely see another one I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Why do you think that is? Before Marck shut the facebook page down for viewing by the public (probably my fault) , I would stop in from time to time and read the posts. I saw a lot of cars for sale posts and when a repair question was asked you got mostly opinions and not a lot facts for answers.  Does facebook attract Reatta owners to it or are the Depends wearing old guys like me running them away from the forum?  There must something to facebook that I don't see, perhaps it's because  Depends wearers' tend to have cataracts that blurs our vision. :)

I wasn't aware Marck has the FB page shut down for public viewing (that's unfortunate).

IMO, older folks (unlike yourself Ronnie - you're classified as 'historic' :) ) liked to tinker mechanically with cars.  Its the DYI mentality. It's part of the make-up of that generation.  And that still applies as your generation is mostly retired.  Younger folks (sub 40ish), have a 'disposable' mentality. No need to know how to fix something. Either have someone else do it (often due to long work hours and family time obligations), or 'dispose' of the problem and get something else.

FB is like Windows 10.  Its but a shell for what once was. FB replaced the classic BBS' of the 1980s/early 1990s just as Windows is a shell for DOS.  Your generation looks for the 'how do I do this/How does this work. Whiles sub 40s, who work long hours, has two kids, leases two cars, has a mortgage and $10K in rolling credit card debt,...don't care  for the details of how things work. 

It would be nice to hear Marck's opinion. My guess his is client base averages 65+ years and business isn't as strong as it could be (only because that generation is dying off).  IMO, if he doesn't branch off into the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Mopar world, he won't have a sustainable business model in a few years.  

I tend to disagree. Being in that sub 40 generation. ( I’m 25) I would rather tinker and save money working on something myself than pay someone to do it. I know a few more guys my age to feel the same way. 

Wheels and tires are an important part of the Reatta ownership history in my opinion, and germaine to this discussion.  I have seen many many Reattae on CL with changed out wheel sets, some for the better, some (to me) not, but it is part of the equation when the Reatta goes 3 straight years with the exact same wheels.

Modern manufacturers have picked up on this.  You want a Ford F150?  You now have your choice of 6-8 different wheels, chrome, aluminum, 17" to 20".   So it is a normal practice in Reatta world to find a more unique expression for your car.  I have purchase a set of the Rivera late 90's chrome wheelset in 16 inch. Not sure what I will put them on, but grabbed them.  They won't likely go on the 1988 car, but I may swap them in and out on the 1991.  I like them for the 1991 better than the stock wheels. 

18 hours ago, Kevin M said:

I tend to disagree. Being in that sub 40 generation. ( I’m 25) I would rather tinker and save money working on something myself than pay someone to do it. I know a few more guys my age to feel the same way. 

You are be in a tiny  minority,  i’m not sure the sub 40 generation has any bearing on the 25-year-old generation either, two totally different generations. But both generations are in the basic consume and throw away age.  As with any group there are exceptions as you noted, but again few and far between.

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)

The difference is that for a Baby Boomer, a tool box was often a very early present.Back in the day of three TV channels most kids had both Whitney/Washawski and Craftsman catalogs. Today it is a new phone, then it was a torque wrench. When the new car arrived often the new wheels were already under the bed. Today they wait up fort "Avenger's: Endgame" then it was the new car reveals.

Yes there are still a few gearheads today but then they were in  the majority.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm 27 and grew up loving the car's looks and low production numbers. Being born in 1991, I always wanted a 1991 convertible, but just never came across the right one (low miles & collector grade condition) at the right price. Last year, out of the blue, I saw a craigslist ad for an estate auction with not one - but two - 1991 convertibles with very low miles about 20 miles from where I live in the Phoenix, AZ area. I went to the auction with the belief that I'd try to own one of the cars- they were a husband/wife pair and both red/tan/tan. One had 50,000 miles, the other one 17,000 miles. The 50k mile car came up first and I thought the price was right so I bought it. Oddly, the cars weren't sold one right after the other, so I had to wait for a few coins, plates and guns to be sold to see the other car with 17,000 miles go across the auction block. When it came by, the money was once again right, so I bought it, too!

Fast forward six months and I'm browsing through craigslist again and I see another 1991 convertible, this one with 29,000 miles and identical to one in my pair come up for sale. After going back and forth on price for a few weeks, I just closed the deal on it today. What makes this car really special is that it was made one car before one of my other two, and is identical all the way down to the pinstripe.

That story aside, I am the sixth owner of my most recent purchase. It seems like several folks bought these cars back in the day as long-term investments, but for whatever reason, they couldn't hold onto them long enough to see the real payback in their investments. My latest car was purchased several times for around sticker or above (as high as $38,000) and, although values are still pretty good, they aren't at that level.

I really, really do think these cars will have their day. As long as I can keep shuffling them around with the other cars in my collection, I plan to hold onto them for several years. I think the owners who hold onto them and care for them will reap the benefits -- at some point in the future. Maybe 10 years, 20 years...who knows?

Edited by azreattacollector (see edit history)
  • Like 1