Restoration Shop Paint TCP

dalef62

I am trying to buy paint for my Farm O Road restoration and local paint stores do not have a formula for the 1936 Chevrolet truck Apple Green that I am looking for.  I have checked online and found that I can get the paint I need from Restoration Shop paint.  

My question is, Is the paint any good?  Also I normally use Valspar paint products and wondered if I could use Valspar reducers and clear coat with the Restoration Supply basecoat paint?

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

Could you buy the smallest quantity possible, do a spray-out, and then have your paint shop mix some up to match in your preferred brand by using a spectrometer? Whenever I need unusual or original paint matched, our paint guy comes over, does a scan with this device, and they mix up a perfect match. It even matches faded or weathered original paint. It's pretty impressive. Ask your paint guys if they can do that or if they know someone with the right equipment. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I thought the code tells them how to mix it? The PPG and Dupont codes are listed. Are you saying with those codes they still don't know how to mix it?

1936 Apple Green, code = 257, Ditzler/PPG code = QDE379    , Dupont code = 93-1650    , Sherwin Williams = 8360, Martin Senour = 115

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Apple Green&tditzler=QDE379&rows=50

2 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I thought the code tells them how to mix it? The PPG and Dupont codes are listed. Are you saying with those codes they still don't know how to mix it?

1936 Apple Green, code = 257, Ditzler/PPG code = QDE379    , Dupont code = 93-1650    , Sherwin Williams = 8360, Martin Senour = 115

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Apple Green&tditzler=QDE379&rows=50

With those you need a mixing fomula, Valspar doesn't have one.

On 4/26/2019 at 4:29 PM, dalef62 said:

I have checked online and found that I can get the paint I need from Restoration Shop paint.  

My question is, Is the paint any good?  Also I normally use Valspar paint products and wondered if I could use Valspar reducers and clear coat with the Restoration Supply basecoat paint?

https://tcpglobal.com/pages/restoration-shop

You are referring to this I suppose. You have the Acrylic, or urethane and the hardener and reducer. It is advisable to choose which you want, and buy the complete "system." 

If the shade of green is very important to get right I would contact a PPG or Du-Pont dealer and see what they say about mixing to those codes above. Maybe it is true they can't accurately mix them even with the code, because those tints are not available.

Apparently you are saying this TCP Global can mix the Apple Green just like you want?

I have not used Restoration Supply paint, because I do not know if their paint is compatible with  sealers primers and topcoats (clear) of other manufacturers. 

I stick with DuPont or PPG.  You will be sad if the paint fails after a year or two because of incompatibility. There is a lot of chemistry in paint, stick with ONE of the major  manufacturer. 

• Like 1

I have used their acrylic lacquers. Went on smoothly and buffed/polished to a mirror finish.  Seem to behave just like the acrylic lacquers I used 15 years ago. I have no problem using the brand.

You have to watch out with acrylic lacquers. Some companies sell a "lacquer" that you thin with a Urethane thinner. Was very unhappy with the results.

The TCP Global/Restoration lacquer uses "real" lacquer thinner. 

• Like 3

They have both 2- stage base coat - clear coat "systems" and the single stage, no clear. The two posts immediately above seem to refer to single stage.

Restoration Shop AL Acrylic Lacquer system is an easy to use fast drying single stage Acrylic Lacquer product. 

Restoration Shop AE Acrylic Enamel system is an easy to use single stage High Gloss product designed for overall Automotive Refinishing as well as an excellent Fleet and equipment finish.

I am looking at the Base coat clear coat 2 stage system.  I just called them and asked if they could do a spray out and he said they don't do that anymore.  He did say there paint compares to PPG and Sherman Williams.  He also stated that it would work fine over my primer.