1940 Buick special Wheels

53 New Yorker

Hello fellow antiques car enthusiasts, 

Does anyone have some advice on where to get a good set of original 16" steel wheels for a 1940 Buick Special ?

The car I purchased last fall has been re-fitted with 15" wheels and funny looking 1950's era spoke hub caps.  I'd like to take it back to 16" wheels.

I'm also reading in a couple of posts that the Special series cars where already geared on the "low" side, and with 15" wheels, it made the situation even worse.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

The wheels themselves don’t make it any worse, it’s the tire diameter.  You can put equivalent original diameter tires on 15” wheels and get the same result.  For wheels I would call Dave Tacheny.  I don’t have his number handy, but if you search his name you will find it in other discussions, and/or someone else will probably reply with it soon.

• Like 1

Thank you my friends.

I didn't expect to have such great information so quickly...   I really appreciate it!

I tried to attach a picture of the car and those "funny" looking 1950's era wire wheel covers.

Do you or anyone know what the hub caps could be from?

I would like to install trip rings and BUICK dish hub caps on it for an authentic look.

There seems to be pleanty of places to buy rings and hub caps from the many Buick Supply places.

1940 Buick and paiano pictures 008.JPG

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

and perhaps lose the Packard hood ornament

I agree.  Although the cormorant is very nice... It really belongs on someone else's Packard, and not this Buick.

Thank you for your insight and encouragement to "lose" it.   

9 hours ago, The 55er said:

The hubcaps that are currently on your car are 1953 Buick wire wheelcovers.

Thank you,  This will help me to know what to do with them when it comes time to find them a new home.

11 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

and perhaps lose the Packard hood ornament

I agree.  Although the cormorant is very nice... It really belongs on someone else's Packard, and not this Buick.

Thank you for your insight and encouragement to "lose" it.   

• Like 1