1990 reatta conv drivers side keyhole light not illuminating

tony1970

Yes the optic cable is powered from your courtesy door light the one just below the arm rest with the dual colored red/white lens. Unfortunately if the cable has come loose from the back of the light housing I think you will have to remove the door panel, or you might be lucky and be able to reach it from the access hole once you remove the housing. But I think it is a tight fit meaning the cable is just long enough to reach the back of the housing. Good Luck!

I recently walked up to the Reatta at night and hit the light button in the remote and was pleased mine was working as it should be, my SUV automatically lights up the handle when I walk up to it but the lighted key hole on the Reatta was a nice feature for close 30 years ago 

1 hour ago, tony1970 said:

Thanks Scott for your information this wire at one time broke off the connector that goes to the courtesy light I stripped a little of the wire reconnected it with no luck,.

I believe it is a optical light guide instead of a wire.  You might have to replace the whole thing to make it work again.

We may be talking about different things but what I was referring to is a fiber optic cable that transfers light from the bulbs in the courtesy light.   It is what looks like a black wire in the first photo below. It plugs into the small hole you see on the back of the light (second photo). If that cable is what broke I doubt splicing it back together would make it work again.  The other connector you see with two wires is what powers the light.

SAM_1745.JPG

SAM_1747.JPG

• Like 1

While I have tried to keep the Red and the 'vert working as it came from the factory, I have never worried about this issue. None of my keyhole lights work on any of my cars which doesn't bother me as I never lock my Reattas. I figure replacing parts is more expensive then anything I leave in the car that someone might want to steal.

However I have all my cars tied into remotes which I carry on my key ring. Remotes for cars I don't lock. How about that?

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I have never worried about this issue.

I couldn't even tell you if mine works or not. I learned something new when he said it should work with the light show.  I do remember trying to figure out what the little cable was when I had the door panel off. That is the reason I know a little about it.

18 minutes ago, tony1970 said:

Hi Ronnie I have the same set up one question ,is there a bulb on the bottom of the white connector? If so mine is missing that's why it is not working.Do you know if that bulb is replaceable?

The opening in the red/white courtesy light is simply a hole that allows the illumination from the courtesy light bulb to enter the fiber optic cable and shine on the ring around the external key hole. If the door mounted courtesy light doesn't work, the fiber optic cannot function either.

• Like 1