Car identification from old picture

Fairpack

Hello,

I was advised to post this old picture my mother in law gave me from her family photo albums. I am puzzled as to what it is. The holes in the doors and the strange windshield post have me the most puzzled. Also the grill bars  over the top of the radiator are strange to me. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Don

image.thumb.jpeg.b1fb2e2c90ffe5a0e1d20a2f5711ddaa.jpeg

OldCarFromJoannesPics.JPG

Edited by Fairpack
turn the picture upright. (see edit history)

1 minute ago, DavidMc said:

What would be the point of an open top armored car?  Extra ventilation? Not much point in that either.   Intriguing.

Any idea of where the photo was taken?

I know....sounds lame, but maybe it has a full top that fits it. Maybe it's really a boat car and those holes are for oars....

• Haha 1

Dave Mellor, I don't think there are holes along the hood side, It looks more like a shadow from the right front fender side light.

The car was obviously a custom built high end car, that was chauffeur driven, as it has a top only at the back to protect the owner and his passengers. The driver would have had to drive and get wet.

The license plate has U22 on it, perhaps this was a license date, as the car is obviously built around that era. It is possible the whole body including the RAD shell were custom made specifically for the owner, and the radiator badge may have had the guys family name put on it?

The holes in the door, maybe for sticking a shotgun or pistol out of to shoot at bandits??

1 minute ago, viv w said:

Dave Mellor, I don't think there are holes along the hood side, It looks more like a shadow from the right front fender side light.

The car was obviously a custom built high end car, that was chauffeur driven, as it has a top only at the back to protect the owner and his passengers. The driver would have had to drive and get wet.

The license plate has U22 on it, perhaps this was a license date, as the car is obviously built around that era. It is possible the whole body including the RAD shell were custom made specifically for the owner, and the radiator badge may have had the guys family name put on it?

The holes in the door, maybe for sticking a shotgun or pistol out of to shoot at bandits??

Those are definitely the same sort of holes in the hood as in the door. You can see the screws to mount the trim....

what is it.jpeg

Is this the car badge? This picture is obviously from a later car, but the emblem looks right. Excelsior were built from 1903 and their cars were built in small numbers in Belguim. They were high end cars with some going to royalty.

Sorry I could not find pictures of early Excelsior cars.

Viv.

Image result for excelsior car badge