Underseat splices

Y-JobFan

Just finished up redoing the splices under the passenger seat, they were in good shape overall, but redid them anyway.  What accessories are the splices under the drivers seat for?  I am chasing no power mirrors and no cruise control (no cruise light and no engaging)  All other accessories and interior lights work perfectly.

Please enter your year car so we keep straight what to advise.

Daniel is probably correct. If you have an '88/89 the mirror switch on the console needs to be cleaned. I would look at the servo for the cruise. Ronnie has a "How To" in regards to testing. I just get another from a jink yard rather then dealing with trying to make a servo work.

Your question prompted me to do some research in the service manual.   With what I found,  I will submit an article to the Reatta newsletter editor to help all Reatta owners understand and tackle the splice problem.

What I can tell you is all the splices relate to interior lighting, seats, power windows, power door locks and the security system.   Also if my count is correct, assuming the service manual is correct, there are 10 under the drivers seat and 7 under the passenger seat.

That is more than I thought,  but it looks like there may be one or two semi hidden where the wires 'T' together on each side.    It also looks like there are more wires than I remember in a couple of them...on the drivers side it appears one splice has as many as 11 wires, on the passenger side one has 13 wires.    

The bottom line is we are driving vehicles that are now 28 + years old,  if you car has a leak and sits outside, it is a prime candidate for water getting into the plastic wiring housing and creating an electrical problem. 

Well, that backfired on me, got in the car this morning and my "Anti Lock" light came on, have not had an issue with that at all and I had not moved the car since I drove it last with no light.   Checked the underhood plugs as I was working in that area on the servo but all seemed good.  I should have left well enough alone and lived with no power mirrors or cruise, at least they didn't remind me of a problem via dash light 

I'll bet the driver's side ABS lead has a crack in it at the plug under the hood. The engine is hot and those leads dry out and crack there. When you were working on your servo you may have jostled it. A quick fix would be to wrap it in electrical tape starting at the plug and go about 12" and then stop and rewind the tape back up to the plug. This way you will have the wrap in both directions and it will keep the lead solid and water won't penetrate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1