1949 Chrysler windsor wheel cylinder

mikeyz123

I think your bottom shoe adjusters need to be re-aligned to the same starting point.  Note how the left one is rotated more than the right.  They move the shoes closer to the drum to compensate for wear.  Your shop manual should explain how to align them.  I think they have arrows stamped in them to set their starting point.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

The arrows on the bottom should point directly to each other before you begin to adjust them.  I can't tell the direction on the one on the left.  That may be your problem.  Also, why does everything look wet, like it's soaked in brake fluid?  Use brake cleaner to clean every thing up.  If brake fluid got on the linings you need to replace the shoes,

• Like 1

The pins seem to be mounted against a different place on the shoes. If so, why is that? Is there a groove on each shoe for the pins to mount in? If they are different, are the shoes swapped front to back? The left shoe in the photo appears to be lower than the right shoe in the photo.

I would attempt to set the bottom anchors so both shoes are at the same level vertically and as close together as they can be.

The replacement Lockheed style cylinders now mostly all made in China are made incorrectly position wise and with all different types of piston depths and piston rubber cups..

This can cause the need for a shorter push rod.

Also too thick of shoe lining can be an issue on these old Mopars......    .185" max thickness on lining...... and linings need to be arc'ed to fit each drum...

A lot of things people need to know when working on these old Mopars and to do them right need some special tools or drive em till the shoes wear  in to the drum shape and keep adjusting brakes till finally seated in 100% then they are awesome brakes and work extremely well.

Asbestos linings are the best for service but I will not go there.

Some pics of all these issues...

Aftermarket short Wheel Cylinder push Rods Had to shorten.JPG

Wheel cyl piston differences.JPG

Wheel Cylinder Piston Design Different Depths (2).JPG

Wheel Cylinder Piston Design Different Depths.JPG

Brake Shoes Fully retracting into Wheel Cylinder (4).JPG

Brake Shoes Fully retracting into Wheel Cylinder (2).JPG

Brake cylinder push rods three different lengths.JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, 61polara said:

,WRONG.  Check your shop manual.  These are not GM brakes.

He might be talking about these retainer springs used on the heavy chassis Chrysler brakes... eight cylinder and wagon 12" brakes ...they are similar to bendix brakes...

There is a pin, rubber inner insulator, steel tube sleeve, spring and retainer cap.

Miller MT-19 Brake Gauge C49 Chrysler Brakes (22).JPG

• Like 1