my original metal air cleaner

moran75

Hi all

My air cleaner currently sports a stick on decal.

I have the original metal one and i like the idea of restoring it to its rightful place...its not mis-shaped, and i prefer its natural 'patina' and that it is original to the car.

Pics attached.

HOWEVER - is there a reason why these got replaced in the first place? Do they just fall off,  no matter what  you stick it on with, especially second time around?

Any thoughts about the realistic possibility of sticking it back on gratefully received ..

All the best

Kev

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_9598.JPG

IMG_9599.JPG

IMG_9600.JPG

Hi Kevin,

Its very common for the plates to loosen up as it appears they were originally installed with weatherstrip adhesive. I dont have a long term recommendation for a substitute adhesive but I`m sure others will as adhesives have come a long way in 50 years.

BTW, someone has installed the "front" decal in the wrong place. It should not be on the side of the air cleaner but should face the front.

Tom

20190108_102712.jpg

greetings Moran, This is an easy fix. First you'll want to get the backside of the "decal" & the corresponding surface of the air cleaner as clean as possible either by scraping w a razorblade or w a solvent or both. Be care full not to damage the thin aluminum. Next make sure everything is clean & dry. (alcohol works great to remove greasy fingerprints, etc.) Then coat the underside of the decal w a spray adhesive(3M is the best) then carefully align the plate on the air cleaner & press it on firmly. With careful prep it should stay on for years ( did mine over 10 yrs ago & it shows no sign of coming loose) In my opinion, & considering the look of the rest of your engine bay, yours has gone a bit beyond the patina stage to decrepit. As an alternative you can acquire a new one, rub a little dirty grease on it if you like, and bring the rest of your engine bay up a few notches to match. With a little creativity you can improve the look of things & still retain that original look.   Good luck, Drew

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Kevin,

Its very common for the plates to loosen up as it appears they were originally installed with weatherstrip adhesive. I dont have a long term recommendation for a substitute adhesive but I`m sure others will as adhesives have come a long way in 50 years.

BTW, someone has installed the "front" decal in the wrong place. It should not be on the side of the air cleaner but should face the front.

Tom

20190108_102712.jpg

Aha ..hadn’t really paid attn to that decal on the side...thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...