Where's that guy looking for a '32 Buick 90-Series?

Matt Harwood

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

s-l1600.jpg

Sure wish I'd bought this Buick instead of this stupid Lincoln...

Nice looking Buick. Matt, you could always buy this one and then sell the Lincoln through Harwood Motor Company. They have great cars for sale and really nice write ups on them too!

You can never have tooooo many Buicks,

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Nice looking Buick. Matt, you could always buy this one and then sell the Lincoln through Harwood Motor Company. They have great cars for sale and really nice write ups on them too!

You can never have tooooo many Buicks,

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

Unfortunately, here's what the Lincoln looks like as of today, so I don't think it's worth anywhere near what that Buick might be.

1-8-19-6.thumb.jpg.f070433f847b11b4714df1b9c90cadd0.jpg

The Lincoln sorted is probably the car to have over the Buick,  but can someone that knows what they are talking about give me the vital statistics on the 32 90 series.   Wheelbase, cubes, HP, cruising speed, production?

I really like this car.  (I like your Lincoln too, Matt).

Museum quality, not much driven for 20 years. There will be much work to get it running again. I notice the rear blind looks poor and the tassel is a cheap modern thing (based on what my 1930 Dodge tassel looks like).

Very attractive car, none-the-less. I would hate to have to supply it with fuel in NZ at $2 per litre.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The Lincoln sorted is probably the car to have over the Buick,  but can someone that knows what they are talking about give me the vital statistics on the 32 90 series.   Wheelbase, cubes, HP, cruising speed, production?

I really like this car.  (I like your Lincoln too, Matt).

1932 90, wb 134", ohv 8, 3 5/16" x 5", 344 cubes, 104 bhp @ 2800 (or 113 with 'high comp' head). Cruising speed? - based on 7.00 x 18 tyres and a rear axle ratio of either 4.18 or 4.27 - tale your pick. Buick sold about 7,500 90s in 1932, in nine different models.

I have a copy of the Buick factory performance charts for the 1934 cars - somewhere. They were sent to me back in the early '70s. I will try to find them and scan them The 1934 90 made a bit more hp from the same size engine but was slightly bigger (136" wb) and heavier and had a 4.36 rear end.

My 1932 Buick model 97 was a wonderful car to drive. Considerably more powerful than my '29 Cadillac (on paper it was 9 horsepower stronger but it felt like 50). Better suspension and brakes, lighter steering. It was amazing how much better cars got year by year in the early 1930s. Very tangible when driven back to back. That '32 Buick felt STRONG but a friend who collects 1932 Buick 90 Series cars exclusively (he has almost every model) says it felt about like any of the others, so they must be pretty muscular cars in general. Mine could cruise at 60 MPH pretty effortlessly and I didn't mind taking it out on the highway with traffic without a second thought. Very competent, roadworthy car. For driving, I would have kept it over my Cadillac, but my Cadillac is a better car overall in terms of condition and we're sentimental about it. I couldn't justify having two 1930-ish full-sized GM sedans, so the Buick had to go. Sold for full asking price to the first guy who saw it. These are very good (and very under-rated) cars.

001.jpg

35 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I think the styling is great.   But 104 HP seems light for 1932 340 cubes.   I know Buick has a big following just based on these forums.   What is the difference between a 90 & 91 & 97,  wheelbase?

AJ, compression ratio was low.  Body style suffixes for 1931-35 sedans as I know/knew them:

90 = 7-p sedan; 90L = 7-p limousine w/division glass

91 = club sedan

97 = 5-p sedan

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, alsancle said:

I think the styling is great.   But 104 HP seems light for 1932 340 cubes.   I know Buick has a big following just based on these forums.   What is the difference between a 90 & 91 & 97,  wheelbase?

You will find those 'second digits' all through Buick model nomenclature. 1 for a trunk back sedan, 7 for a flat back, 4 for a roadster, 5 for a touring or phaeton, 6 for a coupe, and others  - as far back as 1916, and right into the 1950s..

• 8 months later...