1940 Buick Super window crank mech.

Cheesymouth3

Hello everyone,

I have a 1940 Buick model 51 touring sedan which has all ceased up window regulators. Wondering if anyone has any experience getting in there and freeing things up. I took off the door paneling but couldn't find any easy way of getting at anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Cheesy

• Like 1

I have a '41 Super sedan -- exactly the same body as yours.  I have had all my doors apart, and I removed, cleaned, and lubricated the window regulators.  Of course, mine were working to begin with, so getting them out was probably a lot easier than your situation.  Anyhow, you can see from the attached photo where the six screws are located that hold the regulator in place.

2085446939_rear_door2(3)_LI.thumb.jpg.e569601644cebdd240195b73b1c26b53.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The vent window regulators commonly break where the shaft goes into the pot metal socket on top, and I assume that's what happened to yours.  (See photo below.)

vent_regulator2a.jpg.e753fe5ad7707ca4b4ad79f011bb6db4.jpg

Here's what an undamaged one looks like:

regulator3a.jpg.c4ddb3cdac21c735e98c7cf54980a53d.jpg

You can get them from Doug Seybold in Ohio (40BuickGuy@gmail.com), but he charges a lot for them.  They sometimes come up on Ebay, but not very often in my experience.

When you ask about the "vent cranks," I'm not sure whether you're asking about the regulators or the actual crank handles.  Fortunately for me, all my crank handles were in good shape, but I have also seen them come up on Ebay (much more frequently than the regulators).  Also, I'm sure Doug could supply you with some crank handles, but again you will pay top dollar.  (Note: I am not criticizing the pricing from Doug.  He's the leading authority on 40-41 Buicks, everything you get from him will always be correct, he is a pleasure to deal with, but he charges accordingly!)

I replaced the vent regulators on my '40 Super Coupe. A guy on ebay who was a La Salle collector had two beautiful ones and the drivers side was broken and the passenger was fine, but I replaced it anyway. Could you post the part numbers on the vent regulator, maybe I can help.