1934 series 40 gearbox

Ray34

Sad tale ..  Just found the gearbox from my 34 series 40 must have been full of water at some stage and the gears are severely pitted and most are unusable.

The guy that's looking at the box for me can provide most of the gears required but I need desperately a 1934/35 input shaft and the synchro springs.

I am in Sydney , Australia .

Ray

The Hollander 1952 shows series 40 '34-35 used the same two gearboxes. It looks like the same gears in a different case. Up to series 40 #2780146, case was 1285520, then either 1395652 or 1294297.

The main shaft T187-2C was used here, but also later. The input shaft is the Main Drive Gear in their terminology and is T187-16E. Same in '34-35 40, 50; '36 40.

The small parts are not listed in The Hollander.

Another interchange publication shows this:

image.thumb.png.e92745b6bc9a30b901a2a50f49f4a608.png

image.thumb.png.0f2ba9e34ffb837384483fee2050be17.png

Maybe that will help you.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Ray34 said:

Thanks Grimy. 

Will check. Haven’t had any luck finding one in Aus yet.

You could try placing a "parts wanted" add in each of the Aust state Buick clubs monthly magazine & the QLD prewar newsletter

• 2 years later...

Hello all-  I am in need of the same part, input shaft WT187-16E or GM P/N 1282454 for my 1935 Series 40, mostly original 3 window coupe.  No help on Ebay or anywhere else I have found.  Was driving every weekend until input shaft stripped.  All leads appreciated!

JOHN 

Houston, TX

1935 buick side.png

Input shaft 1 1/8" 10spline? May be the same for a `36 Buick 40series with 233 engine. Dave Tacheny parts out `36-`40 Buicks  Phone only 4-7pm central time m-f  763 427-3460  Did it damage the teeth of the cluster gear too? Dave might have a complete transmission or the part you need.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the ideas fellas.  Still working through problems; was able to find an NORS input shaft from an antique auto parts house in Michigan, Buick part no. 1282454 or Perfection part no. WT187-16E (pictured).  It is exactly like the damaged shaft from my trans EXCEPT that the bearing on my (bad) input shaft is retained by a C-clip; the "new" input shaft doesn't have a recess for the C-clip, it instead has fine threads to accomodate a retaining NUT.  I'm now hunting for a an appropriate nut to use; if that fails guess I can get a shop to machine a recess to accept the C-clip.  ALSO, yes my trans has a seriously damaged cluster gear so I bought one from Ebay which was supposedly correct for my '35 40series;  turns out it is approx. 6 3/4" long whereas the cluster gear out of my trans is approximately 7 1/4".  Not sure if the seller was incorrect of the application or if maybe the trans in my car is from a different year?  I've sent some emails, hopefully can figure this out.  Any information, ideas or comments welcomed!!  Thanks again-

JOHN

35 buick input shaft.jpg

buick cluster gear tall.jpg

buick cluster gear short.jpg

Edited by jmichaelmetz
Update measurements (see edit history)