'32 Dictator factory photo

bluetaxi

Can anyone give me any information on what appears to be a factory photo of a 1932 Dictator?  Location is The Lighthouse, Pacific Palisades based on the umbrella.  The photo is numbered 15327.

img262.jpg

• Like 1

Not interested in address... she would be about 106 now, I expect.  I am hoping Richard or someone else has info on the photo, as I have not seen it elsewhere.

The scene is at Pacific Palisades (Santa Monica) along the coast Hwy (see reverse angle below). Characters shown are actors from Hal Roach's Rascals, no, not the "Little Rascals" but a short lived spin off featuring teens/twenties actors. Car could be a Dictator Eight as you suggest or a Studebaker Six model 55 since the two cars were indistinguishable from the outside.  I have that photo plus others taken at the same "shoot" with other Studebaker cars (including a coupe). Studebaker shot a lot of photos in southern Calif (Hollywood area) during that time period using cars from the Paul G. Hoffman dealerships. Have dozens in my collection with various actors and actresses of the era. 

light house santa monica.jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

There is what looks like chrome or stainless strip on the cowl.  Does it go all the way across, or just to the edge?  Is it part of a side mount bracket for the spare tire?  Do the Commanders use the same part? Thanks

Anyone have a factory photo of the frame assembly line  or something similar showing the chassis or any  part of it, the suspension ,  or diff?  WOndering what the colors were, and how detailed they were.  (1931,  1932 or 33 any model should work)

1 hour ago, (S) said:

Anyone have a factory photo of the frame assembly line  or something similar showing the chassis or any  part of it, the suspension ,  or diff?  WOndering what the colors were, and how detailed they were.  (1931,  1932 or 33 any model should work)

Either check your September, 1980 Turning Wheels where there's a series of photos called 'Body Drops Through the Decades', or the Asa Hall/Richard Langworth book, 'The Studebaker Century'  I believe there will be some photos of help.

Craig

Mike, bear with me on the issue date of that one.  I quickly checked before running off to a meeting last night, and that particular article in the September, 1980 TW is strictly on 2R trucks.

There is an another issue (which I will check again later for), which has the 'Body Drops Through the Decades' showing the famous hole in the floor of bodies being dropped from the second storey and mated to their chassis on the main floor.  It covers several years from the 1920's to close to the end of production.

Craig

Wondering about being  'over - detailed'  .   It looks great, but probably not 'correct' .

Were brake cables  and attach clips left 'cad plated',  Brake adjuster bolts,  shackles,  small bolts holding wire harness and splash pans, shock links, etc..  Drain plugs?  This is not a silver cad, but a light Silver - Gold color.

Need to drop the tank and check it.  I notice the leaf spring straps are silver paint, and the gas tank straps with  Gloss black  on the tank. 

On 8/13/2019 at 1:10 PM, 8E45E said:

Either check your September, 1980 Turning Wheels where there's a series of photos called 'Body Drops Through the Decades', or the Asa Hall/Richard Langworth book, 'The Studebaker Century'  I believe there will be some photos of help.

Craig

Here you are Craig, 1932 Studebaker Commander or Dictator. 1933 would have been the same.

32 chassis l rear.jpg

32 chassis l rear copy.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Richard.     I can almost see the gas pedal parts this car is missing.  It has the bracket on the back end of the engine, but nothing from there, to the gas pedal.. I can also see how the brake cables were cad, but everything else including the exhaust is Black.   The steering gearbox is a different shade.  Were they kind of Olive Drab?    Thanks!

Thank you!.