'63, how to remove stuck closed rear quarter power window

TheOldMan

Okay, now I am into fixing all the problem areas of this car. I have already fixed the power seat, (have it still out of the car so I can get under the dash), rear quarter panel, engine leaks,

you know the usual maintenance stuff other people seem to not do.

I have ordered all manuals for this car but they are not here yet and I need to remove the drivers power rear quarter window that is stuck in the up (closed) position 

to get it working. I have completed taking everything apart and am now trying to get the window down some so I can start taking it out. PROBLEM: can't seem to figure out how to start. I have tried to get info from other sources,

but can't seem to find anywhere where to start.

Dennis

Sorry.....get ahead of myself sometime......1963 Buick Riviera 401 ci 2 speed auto....

I might have called the window wrong.....the drivers side door window is called the drivers side door window and I know how to take the 

outer door skin off.......

The window behind the door on the drivers side in the quarter panel is called ______?

image.png.b06190a1feda2b933d500ffa19847958.png

That's the one I can' get down.

Edited by TheOldMan (see edit history)

I probably read it wrong.  When you said quarter window, I was thinking vent window.  I think your description of quarter window is good, I'm just used to hearing them referred to as rear quarter windows.

There is another thread currently under discussion about adjustment if rear quarter windows. You might check that out.

The first thing you're going t need to do is establis if 12V is getting to the motor.  You'll need to remove the rear seat bottom and then the rear quarter trim piece to access the motor.  If you're getting 12V to the motor but there's nothing there. Then the motor is bad.  If you hit the window switch and the motor tries (dome lights dim) then the window is stuck in the tracks.  These motors are notorious for stopping because of hardened grease in the gears.  

I think the on going thread addresses removal of the motor.  Motors are generic to other GM products from the era.  Left front and right rear windows are interchangeable are right front and left rear motors 

Good luck and welcome to the skinned knuckles club.  A box of band-aids and a tube of Neosporin are handy tools for this job.  As is a health dose of patience.

Ed, I have all that and more. I need to get the motor, tracks, and glass out but if the window doesn't move in the tracks what is the best way to get all that finger pinching

equipment out of that tinny winny hole they give us?

I will try and find the other thread to see what is being talked about. 

41 minutes ago, TheOldMan said:

Ed, I have all that and more. I need to get the motor, tracks, and glass out but if the window doesn't move in the tracks what is the best way to get all that finger pinching

equipment out of that tinny winny hole they give us?

I will try and find the other thread to see what is being talked about. 

I can't get to anything right now to look, but the glass should unbolt from the channel and come out by pulling forward and up.  I think that a body (not chassis) manual will explain the procedure.

I like my crank windows so much I bought a complete set of tracks and gears years back. The only service I have performed to the windows in 40 years was to heli-arc that cast arm in the driver's side door glass mechanism.

If I had a power window car and the window removal looked too daunting I'd probably do a little aviation snip surgery  on the inner panel. A few zaps with a MIG and the upholstery hiding it wouldn't be a big issue.

Bernie