Speedometer gone crazy! Help!

kreed

My 66 Riviera  rolling speedometer has been acting weird lately and today began to rotate in all directions with an associated humming noise in the dash at higher speeds . It rotates between 10 mph and 120 mph when I am going 30 mph . Question is : is it most likely the cable itself ? Or more likely a bad speedometer ?  Speedometer cables are  cheap so thought I would start there unless someone who has more experience has any ideas.  Obviously dash has to come out  for replacement  and we all know how much fun that is . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken,

The first thing that I would try would be to unscrew the housing at the transmission and pull the cable out of the housing and inspect it for breaks, kinks, or dryness.  If it looks okay physically, lube it and reinsert it.   See what happens then.  Sounds like it binds up then releases a bunch of tension causing the eratic readings. 

7 hours ago, kreed said:

My 66 Riviera  rolling speedometer has been acting weird lately and today began to rotate in all directions with an associated humming noise in the dash at higher speeds . It rotates between 10 mph and 120 mph when I am going 30 mph . Question is : is it most likely the cable itself ? Or more likely a bad speedometer ?  Speedometer cables are  cheap so thought I would start there unless someone who has more experience has any ideas.  Obviously dash has to come out  for replacement  and we all know how much fun that is . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

KEN, put the transmission in reverse so you can get your hand clear to take out the speedometer cable and adapter at the transmission. The transmission linkage can be in your way. Seems simple enough; however, it took a period of time for me to realize it is easier to get the thing out ( adapter ) if the linkage is not in the way of your hand. Just a thought that may be of some use.

IF the cable is installed CORRECTLY it CAN'T be pulled out from below. IT HAS to be removed from the head. Once it's removed from the head remove the inner cable. Dis-connect the cable at the trans. IT DOESN'T need to be in reverse as this is a TH400 & NOT a DynaFlow.  Spray Brakleen OR Carb. cleaner from the top down until it runs out clean. Install the cable & turn it, remove & spray again to remove ALL debris/old grease. Blow out with air to remove spray. Spray cable with Brakleen/Carb. cleaner & wipe down. Roll up cable in your hand & grease while inserting cable at same time turning while installing. Grease until about 3-4" from end. For grease I like using Kendall Super Blue. Maintains it's consistency & will be the same in 10ys.

Tom T.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kreed said:

Today's project !  Don't look forward to dropping the dash . Tom is absolutely right - the cable does not come out from below ?

KReed

ROA 14549

I dropped these pics from the 'net and thought it might help through the entanglement.

You might as well replace all the bulbs while your in there. Get the LL (long life)

As you know all that has brittle plastic mounted on it.

Good luck.

a.jpg

d.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Sorry Mr. Reed.

Is the speedo cable socket rounded out? 

Frustrating that GM speedos are sub-par.

Theres a few on ebay for sale but I'd prefer to have my original repaired.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:58 PM, kreed said:

Dropped the dash and changed the cable.Still doing the same thing - guess its the speedometer . All bulbs changed . Thanks for everyone' s help . 

KReed

ROA 14549