Packard coupe, cheap!

I presume you're talking tongue-in-cheek when you say cheap. The ad says no rust, but the rear fenders seem to be molded into the body. The car needs virtually everything.The last restored example of a 110 coupe I saw sold went begging for about 30K. The restoration tab on this one would run to more that it's worth,IMHO. I was quoted about $12000 just for chrome plating.

I love the '40 Packard's appearance and have a similar unrestored car, albeit in better original condition. I would likely be lucky to get $15000 for it and you could drive it home.(I plan on keeping it for a while yet).Too many guys looking at it want to go the big block, Camaro front suspension , tubbed rear wheel well route.

Restoring Packard wheels 003.JPG

A friend bought this maroon 1940 110 coupe in restored condition for $20000 a few years ago. The previous owner complained that it kept blowing head gaskets and had just parked it in disgust.Turns out the mechanic had put the thermostat in upside down. We got the two together at a local historical show.

twins ! 1940 Packard 110 coupes 004.JPG

twins ! 1940 Packard 110 coupes 002.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 5:09 PM, J.H.Boland said:

I presume you're talking tongue-in-cheek when you say cheap. The ad says no rust, but the rear fenders seem to be molded into the body. The car needs virtually everything.The last restored example of a 110 coupe I saw sold went begging for about 30K. The restoration tab on this one would run to more that it's worth,IMHO. I was quoted about $12000 just for chrome plating.

I love the '40 Packard's appearance and have a similar unrestored car, albeit in better original condition. I would likely be lucky to get $15000 for it and you could drive it home.(I plan on keeping it for a while yet).Too many guys looking at it want to go the big block, Camaro front suspension , tubbed rear wheel well route.

Restoring Packard wheels 003.JPG A much better car, and reasonably priced! If you do want to sell in the next year, let me know please?

• Like 1

Kapuskasing is a long way up north! If anyone is going to buy it you better go now because you will freeze your buns up there. Kap is also where GM cold weather experimental division is located. PS: Keep your damp hands or tongue off all metal objects when there.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

On 10/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, Ed Luddy said:

I have no interest in putting a big block Chevy, rack 'n pinion or anything in it other than gasoline and replacement parts as necessary. I've started looking for a late 30's coupe, Studebaker 37, or Packard, Cadillac, etc. No Ford or Chevys'. If you do wish to sell yours please keep me in mind  with as much notice as possible!

I cannot take on a project as I have no shop now and very little patience. A decent driver such as your 40 coupe is what I'd like. Can't afford to restore or pay for a high point car, so a junior 110 model coupe in drivable, tinkerable, scratchable without popping a fuse condition is right up my alley! Especially if it's already in Ontario!

20 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

. A decent driver such as your 40 coupe is what I'd like. 

Hello Ed

A little while ago I may have been tempted to let it go.I couldn't get to the bottom of lack of power,sort of like riding a pig that's screwing a football.Turns out the manifold bolts needed to be tightened down.Now it runs like a Packard should. My wife found this car only 9 miles from home while delivering Avon. It had just turned 40,000 miles.Some fresh fuel and a borrowed license plate and we drove it home.

I'll keep my eyes open for you,but old coupes are still prime hot rod material.Where in Ontario are you ?

Jim

14 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Hello Ed

A little while ago I may have been tempted to let it go.I couldn't get to the bottom of lack of power,sort of like riding a pig that's screwing a football.Turns out the manifold bolts needed to be tightened down.Now it runs like a Packard should. My wife found this car only 9 miles from home while delivering Avon. It had just turned 40,000 miles.Some fresh fuel and a borrowed license plate and we drove it home.

I'll keep my eyes open for you,but old coupes are still prime hot rod material.Where in Ontario are you ?

Jim

Hi Jim.

I'm in London/ Woodstock area. I've been looking for a decent driver grade coupe. Yes they are scarce, unless you want a hot rod.