2004R to nailhead adaptor

ghaskett

You need to use the later  460LE transmission with Russ`s bellhousing. Earlier ones and the 200-4R do not have the separate bellhousing. Bendsten's makes the adapters for the nailhead- as well as the Buick straight eight and many other engines.

These adapters come with a torque plate and a hub.  The hub bolts to the flex plate, the the torque plate bolts to the hub.  The torque converter bolts to the torque  plate.  The adapter is designed for the Chevy bellhousing, NOT the BOP bellhousing.  The 200-4R has a dual bolt pattern (Chevy and BOP) so it will work with the nailhead adapter.

image.jpeg.6d52fae4f304bf0fdb2c61bfc043d418.jpeg

I'll post some pictures when I can get to my computer.

Ed 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hub adapter in place on the back of the crank - not shown is the flex plate which would be between the crank and the hub adapter.  You need the stock flex plate in place for the starter ring gear.

No automatic alt text available.

Adapter bolted on to the bellhousing - this is an Eelco adapter.

torque plate bolted to the hub adapter

Torque converter bolted to the torque plate.

Transmission in place in a 1965 Riviera cruciform frame

Before getting into this too deeply, find out the differences between the Chevrolet converer and the BOP converter.  There is a difference in the mounting pads.  The mounting pads on the Chevy converter are on the original flex platen- which you do not use.  The mounting tabs on the BOP converter are on the converter itself. Having the tabs on the converter makes it much simpler to bolt to the torque plate. 

The best 200-4R transmissions are from the Buick Grand National, followed by the Chevy SS Monte Carlo and the high performance Oldsmobile Cutlass.  There are quite a number of shops which can modify the 200-4R to handle 800 - 1,000 lb. ft. of torque.  Talk to one of them before buying a transmission.  You might just want to buy one of theirs that's already modified. 

You will also need to read up on the use of a TVC or  throttle valve cable system which is a cable that runs from your carburetor to the transmission.  Without one in place, you'll burn up the transmission driving it 50 feet.   The 700-R4 and the TH200-4R transmissions ARE NOT computer controlled as are the newer L460-E units (the kind that Russ Martin sells the bell housing for.)  The 700-R4 has a .70 overdrive, where as the 200-4R has a .67 overdrive.  The 200-4R is smaller physically than the 700R4 if you're concerned with space around the floor tunnel or if you have a cruciform frame to deal with.

Hope this helps some.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

No worries, I'm going with Russ' bellhousing.  I'm just waiting for him to get back to me about the mounting plate.  He sold the last one he had a couple of weeks ago.  The guy he gets them from, sold the last three that he was supposed to be saving for Russ.  The customer is sending it back to Russ, so he can send it to his machinist.  I'm hoping he can make more.  Hopefully cheaper too!  🙂

He has 2 options for the 200R4.  One is the adapter plate system, the other is an actual bellhousing which mounts to the a plate, which bolts to the pump housing.  This is after you cut off the original bell housing.   It requires a specific torque converter from hughes, which costs $540. 

I was able to purchasae an already built 200R4 for $450.  I'm just getting all of the pieces together. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...