Mystery relay?

Scott Mckenzie

Hi gents,under the hood of my`64 at the junction block on the drivers side fender beside the horn relay is a small box 1x 1 .375 . I dont know what it does and when we took the cover off there is a small  winding of very fine wire. The wee box has two spade connectors coming from the end and a small black wire attached to one spade connection that goes into the wiring harness. I appears to be fubared as the winding fell out when I removed the cap.Yet another quandary . I will do my best to supply a picture when i can sort out the new phone. thanks in advance ,Scott.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Scott Mckenzie said:

I will do my best to supply a picture when i can sort out the new phone

Scott, A picture is worth a thousand words! Hopefully you can post a picture soon to put everyone out of our misery!

Scott,

That looks like the factory junction block/horn relay but it appears as though it has been moved toward the firewall. Maybe it`s just the angle of the pic..

The black wire which you described probably is the switched voltage feed for the horns. There should be another connector/wire which goes toward the firewall which is the voltage feed for the horn contact under the steering wheel horn bar. Not looking at a schematic but I would expect this wire to be green with a white stripe.

Tom

Do you have a wider angle picture -- like the whole inner fender?  As Tom sez, that just doesn't look right.

What it looks like, though, is an after-market horn relay with (perhaps) some altered wiring.  Shouldn't there be a two conductor plug on that?  Is there a random green wire coming out of the harness and connecting somewhere (e.g. another relay)?  Follow the green wire back from the horns and see where it goes...

What's that thing hanging off the right of the junction block?

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

It still looks like an unused horn relay that has been replaced by the one on the right.

Does your horn work now?  And what is the smaller, light green wire coming in from the left?

You might want to replace that whole mess with a proper horn relay/junction block.

• Like 2

If I had to guess (which is exactly what I'm doing ?), I'd say the wiring goes like this:

Scott-Mckenzie-horn-relay.thumb.jpg.ea59f14c93ba99bb3e32381b0dc6e114.jpg

For the stock setup, you'd move the green wire that goes to the horns to the unused terminal on the horn relay.  Get rid of the green wire from the junction block to the relay.  Find out where the light green wire goes, as it appears to duplicate the functionality of the black wire connected to the old relay.

Remember, in the stock setup, the 12V to the relay (both to power the relay and to power the horns) is supplied via a direct connection to the junction block.  The horn is activated by completing a circuit to ground when the horn bar is pressed.  Hence, the only external connections needed by a stock horn relay are a) the ground to activate the relay (the black wire), and b) the power to the horns (the thick green wire).  Make sure you connect the wires to the proper terminals on the relay.  IIRC, the stock setup uses a two-connector plug , but it looks like someone has disemboweled it and separated the wires.