What’s this ute???

Vintageben

OK, so I actually do know what the ute is. Well, the make at any rate; not quite so confident on year and model. Yes, you see correctly. It is like an early version of the space cab/dual cab but what do you expect, it’s Australia.

I’m not sure how many were produced. I’m pretty sure from what Gran told me it had a second row of seats.

Anyway, sorry about the quality it is the only photo I have of this Ute and let's see what others think of it.

0F661BA0-60DD-4759-AC3B-97B804031F60.thumb.jpeg.b0fcf17e8e5f86fe560abdd46109319e.jpeg

Not Ford but the era is correct and not a conversion as such or may have been but was purchased new in this configuration so was it converted at the factory maybe a unique Australian commercial. I do remember Gran having many

a argument with vintage car enthusiasts that no such vehicle existed until she produced this photo! They would then shake their  heads in surprise. I would love to have this Ute now but I’m not sure what ever happened to it.

Wow yes that’s correct it is a International, by the sounds of things similar may have happened here in Australia with many different bodies fitted. Thanks for that bit of info, All I know about the  Ute is it did many trips between Sydney and Gunnedah and was remembered fondly.

14 hours ago, Vintageben said:

Wow yes that’s correct it is a International, by the sounds of things similar may have happened here in Australia with many different bodies fitted. Thanks for that bit of info, All I know about the  Ute is it did many trips between Sydney and Gunnedah and was remembered fondly.

I can't find a stand-alone pic of that coupe but if you look carefully in these two photos you can see the front, and the rear quarters of it. In blue.

l0vnto_3b7_l.jpg

yaldhurst-musuem-7.jpg

Holden or ? fitted bodies to chassis-cabs or chassis-cowls in Oz. Utes often or usually had the bed sides integral with the rear of the cab like this one has. I saw a 1939 Studebaker "Coupé Express" with such a body on it near Brisbane (Caloundra?), in a well known wrecker's yard. The wall behind the seat was not there so it must have been some sort of insert, perhaps plywood or similar. That is, the cab rear reached down to the top of the bed sides and not much more.

The Ford posted above is similar. A few Oz utes came here too.