1925 Buick Std.rear axle leak

J.H.Boland

Returning from a car show, I discovered a pool of gear oil beside the right rear wheel.It's coming from a spout near the bottom of the axle housing (see photo) .Does this indicate a leaking seal ? I've stuffed paper towel in it for now. Anyone know what seals are used (felt?).

Jim

1925 Buick oil leak 001.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

This leak is typically either an overfilled axle housing or the car has been parked leaning to the side of the leak. In more rare cases over heated gear oil could over expand and have a greater tendency to find a path out.

3 minutes ago, raydurr said:

This leak is typically either an overfilled axle housing or the car has been parked leaning to the side of the leak. In more rare cases over heated gear oil could over expand and have a greater tendency to find a path out.

Thanks raydurr.I would like to think you're right.It hasn't been parked on an angle but the day was hot.I'll check the diff oil level.

Jim

54 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Differential oil should be very thick so the felt seals will work.  I use SAE 250.

This stuff is a bit light. Some of my old manuals say to use steam cylinder oil "or equivalent". SAE250 sounds like a good "equivalent".

Jim, 

The tube needs to be open.  Your "equivalent" is a good choice.  Fill to just below the oil coming out the fill plug.  Some have said 1/2 to 1" below.   This is a cut away drawing of how the rear axle tube works.  You may also need new seals (felt or lip seal) in your rear hubs.   If you plug the hole you could end up with oil on your brake bands.      Hugh

976442082_RearAxlecutaway.thumb.JPG.7df0ac96c96944cdd9da4a52f4988591.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 4