Passing of Jeff Locke (TRAACA)

Bob Stein

Long-time AACA/TRAACA member Jeff Locke of Chesapeake VA passed away this morning, July 5, 2018, following an extended illness.  A familiar face at National Meets and a popular presenter of seminars on classic and antique vehicles at Philadelphia, Jeff had a tremendous knowledge of the automobile hobby.  He regularly participated in National Meets both as a judge and showing his own vehicles, ranging from HPOF mopeds to his 1974 Chevrolet Suburban. 

Edited by Bob Stein
correction of date (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Jeff was a true friend and neighbor for many years.  We shared much in this great hobby.  He was a Past President of Tidewater Region, has been a National Meet and tour Chairman, and was a proud member of the Buzzards Breath Touring Region as well.  He served proudly as our region "tour master" for many years and led us down the road on many of our most memorable adventures.  He will be remembered for his love of true classic cars and many of us always enjoyed his seminars at Philadelphia.  He had friends all across the country, and knew many auto enthusiasts through the business he started appraising automobiles. I'll especially miss our "roadshow" evenings.  We lived only a couple of miles apart and on Monday evenings, we would get together with fellow member Andy Ott and eat a nice dinner, then enjoy the evening trying to out-guess the experts on "Antiques Roadshow."  The stories we made up those evenings were priceless and I wish I had recorded them!  Jeff had over 200 judging credits when he joined the Judges Honor Society, and always took his job seriously. Among his proudest accomplishments however were the seeds of enthusiasm for the old car hobby that he planted in some of our younger members at the church we attended together.  We'll miss you old friend. Rest in peace.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will miss him terribly - he and Pat were more than 'car-friends' to us, shared good times and bad with them. Recently spent a couple days with him at an I-VAN meeting - so glad I did too. He was also a  great influence on my son as they worked together on an large estate project just last summer.

Look out heaven - here comes Locke!

:(

Guest Mark McAlpine

The TRAACA lost a valued member today.  Jeff Locke and his wife Pat have been members of the TRAACA for over 40 years and have been great supporters of the region, the AACA, and the hobby in general .  Terry Bond gave a great tribute above to Jeff, and I can't add anything to his eloquence.  Please keep Pat and Jeff in your thoughts and prayers.  Rest in peace, Jeff.

This is truly sad news, I meet Jeff and Pat at the Annual Meeting back in the late 1970's when I was a bit more active in AACA. He always had  a few good stories. I took his I-VAN course, but never had the self confidence to put it to use. I'll always remember his reaction to me standing  in line for the Judges breakfast wearing a Goofy hat I bought at Disney World years ago at the Kissimmee Meet. Thoughts and prayers going to his family and friends. Bob 

Jeff will be missed greatly in the hobby.  He was a fixture in the National AACA and the antique car hobby for as long as I can remember.  He fought the long fight and never lost his enthusiasm for antique and classic cars.  Surely he will be missed.

Jeff will certainly be missed. His experience, support, and yes, even the dry comments, are a part of his legacy.

His experience in the judging arena, as well as his business acumen - including his starting I-Van are a part of what makes this hobby strong. 

A memorial service is being planned locally for August 12th (Sunday) at Hickory United Methodist Church here in Chesapeake Va.  Will provide details once more specifics are available.  I anticipate there will be parking for antique cars - Jeff would have demanded that.  No doubt there will be a lot of "Jeff stories" told as he touched many lives in this hobby.

Terry

Service will be at 2 pm. Everyone is encouraged to drive their old cars.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Jeff Locke's memorial service was held this afternoon.  People's respect for him and his impact on the antique car hobby was evident by the attendance.  The church was full with people come to pay their respects including two past AACA Presidents, four current AACA Directors, nine current and past TRAACA Presidents, plus at least one president of other AACA regions and several current & past AACA chairmen, young adults Jeff mentored when they were teenagers and are now accomplished adults.  Rest in peace, Jeff.  The rest of us will catch up with you down the road eventually.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Corrected attendee info (see edit history)