Anyone know what this car was originally?

TylerB

I hate this current rat rod trend. It's really sad that orphan closed cars from the '30s are turned to rods. Restorods would have been more OK, I know it's not worth it with all that body supporting wood. But I would be happy driving a six-cylinder (= non Ford!) mid-'30s sedan than a much later sought-after collector car.

On 6/30/2018 at 8:07 AM, auburnseeker said:

It's raw steel and there are no seam lines like where they chopped the top. The hump back is the same as on the Olds. It doesn't follow the body smoothly; it's inset from the factory. 

Yes, I don't see a graft either. Something's fishy though, the trunk lid opening doesn't come close enough to the sides, making it look more like a rumble opening.  Google "Mobilgas '34 Chevy" (which I believe used the same body, and scroll to the white one pulling a Mullins trailer), it shows the lid extending fully to the sides for access through the top of the trunk, and not water-falling down the rear. It doesn't make much sense why the opening would be changed from the original configuration. But then in this case, what's sense got to do with it anyway...?

Thanks, the close-ups clear it up (and have me eating crow!). The trunk lid configuration is clearly different between the '34 Olds and Chevy, which incidentally I should have noticed by looking at the '34 Olds in primer and comparing it to the Mobilgas '34 Chevy. Duh...