DA Window Crank

Just bought a DA window crank but find it is smaller than I was expecting. Another learning experience! But I am now curious as to why there is a difference. I have only ever been aware of the longer ones (as used in my DA Sedan). Anyone know why there is a difference or what the short one was used for? The both have the same pattern, just different lengths.

Thanks,

John

DSC02382m.jpg

The shorty is probably a windshield crank handle for a 1930 Dodge DD sedan or coupe where it raises straight up. The quarter window crank handles and rumble seat window crank handles are usually T-handles.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for those replies. As Keiser says, the rear quarter window cranks are T-handles. Windscreen cranks sounded a good  but the 29 DAs that I have and seen have push out windscreens. I had not considered the DDs. I had assumed that they had a different pattern to DAs.

That makes sense. It has just occurred to me that I have never seen a Budd bodied DD, only Richards Bodied. I am pretty sure the windshield wound up, but being a Richards body, I presume the door handles/window cranks would be different (they are with DAs). I certainly did not notice them at the time.

• 3 months later...

I have followed up a few leads, but have been unsuccessful so far. I am looking for a DA window crank handle, as the one I bought (see above) is wrong. I know that I can get a reproduction from Glenn Smith, but I only need one to complete my set and I think his reproduction would look out of place. There is also a complete set of handles and cranks on ebay, but again, I only need one crank, not a whole set. Any help or leads much appreciated.

John

DSC00017m.jpg