Garnish Molding Screws

60FlatTop

Guess who can't find the bag of '64 Riviera interior screws. When I put the new windshield in my car.... two years ago.... I took down the windshield molding, and all the other window molding because I thought I was going to do more. Has anyone cataloged the molding screws? I think they are Philips head oval #8's, but I seem to remember three different lengths.

Anyone ever write down a list?

Thanks

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Do u know if this “list of screws” tells us where each screw goes/belongs in our car?

I don't remember.  I can't get to anything right now because of a cast on my foot.  If you can wait until after the first of the year, I'll check for you.  Or, you could call Glen at Mr. G's and ask him.

When I parted out the one '63 that I had, I marked every screw (or group) and told him exactly where each one came from.  He sent me a kit and I opened it, looked at it, and put it on the shelf where it sits now.

Ed

• Like 1

I got lucky. They were all in a bag on the shelf where they were supposed to be. Funny how the third or fourth time you go where you thought they were- they just appear.

Not ready to use them yet so maybe I will sort and test fit.

I don't mind the short or loose ones much, but I am painting the roof. I'd hate to poke one through the sheet metal. I remember a guy doing that when he put the dome light in a freshly painted Dodge Dart.

Bernie

Edit: Oh, about the foot. So I'm not the only who looks for small parts in their bare feet.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

On 11/25/2018 at 5:09 PM, RivNut said:

I don't remember.  I can't get to anything right now because of a cast on my foot.  If you can wait until after the first of the year, I'll check for you.  Or, you could call Glen at Mr. G's and ask him.

When I parted out the one '63 that I had, I marked every screw (or group) and told him exactly where each one came from.  He sent me a kit and I opened it, looked at it, and put it on the shelf where it sits now.

Ed

Ed, I have the list. The list is numbered consecutively and the numbers match a plastic bag with the fasteners inside. The list tells you where  the numbered bag fasteners go.

RRB

It's been so long since I got the kit and looked into it, that I couldn't remember for sure.  But I do remember sitting in a 63 that I bought to part out and, along with my step-son, sat in that car during a hot July day with a box of zip-loc bags and a bunch of 3x5 cards and a pen and some tools and took every screw that I could find from the parts car, labeling and packaging them, and sending them off to Glenn.  I was surprised at the short turn around time he processed them in and sent me the first set he'd put together.  Not being bashful here, just a pat on my own back.

He's rarely able to find complete cars now days but will put together kits if you can guarantee him that the car was unmolested and complete when you took it apart.  The exterior of my parts car wasn't complete so I couldn't come up with the screws for an exterior kit.

Ed

several years ago, I went through the factory parts book for the Porsche 914, and together with the knowledge of the car, put together a nut screw bolt and washer kit for every piece of hardware for the body, labeled it with sizes colors and part numbers, put it in three labeled bins and have been selling it ever since.    Would be nice to do the same for the first generation rivieras.  Also a lot of the interior screws on the Riv were chrome, so nice to have that too.  Pretty bad to sit in a near perfect interior and look at mis matched, sized screws

I`ve taken apart MANY MANY first gen Rivs over the years to part them out, install headliners, remove the molding to polish and wax, etc and I can say with great certainty that Buick (or Fisher) used whatever size screw they had on hand that would grab. There are areas that require longer screws to grab, IF memory serves correctly at the lower A pillar molding and the front corner pieces, but the screw lengths have not repeated a pattern in my experience. Dont over think it, if there is more screw than needed hanging out from the molding when you put it in place it is probably too long...if it doesnt grab it is too short. Believe me when I say they werent even THAT particular when they put the car together when new. I`ve often found long screws where short would suffice...but of course,  NOT vice versa

Tom

• Like 1

All of Glenn's screw kits are made of stainless so they'll never dull or corrode. Be advised, the interior kit contains onlyscrews that are visible; none that are out of sight.

If anyone has a "parts car" that's pretty complete, it would be great if they could send examples of all of the under hood bolts to Glenn so that he could make a kit of those as well.

Impressive! Me likey! 😬

I’m no screw expert. But I’ve dug thru many bolt bins at the home centers to know this kit is NOT all stainless steel screws. And some of these screws are located “out of sight”. But like Ed said, all of the screws that are visible are certainly made of stainless steel. 

Great find guys. Thx for sharing

B2EA3AE8-F533-42E4-9570-D82BC95E7B53.thumb.jpeg.f28860b5faa6363647c167afc1ede5ab.jpeg