49 dodge Heater Core

Can Anyone Tell me if this Is My Heater core or something else my Book Doesn't show A Heater core,  It is In My 1949 Dodge Coronet 4 Door With 6 Cyl. and Hydromatic trans. Please Help this was disconnected not sure why. Also How Do you Remove the heater box The Cardboard Square Tube for Heat I Just Bought A new one but my old one wont come off Don't Want to Damage anything please help with this too my book doesn't cover this ether.

Heater Vent1.jpg

Heater Vent2.jpg

Heater core 1.jpg

Heater core 2.jpg

Heater core 3.jpg

Heater core 4.jpg

Heater core 5.jpg

If it isn't broken (leaking), don't mess with it. On the other hand....were the hoses unhooked? If so, maybe the core WAS leaking. Probably just the control valve sticking that rendered it unusable, though.

• Haha 1

In your car, the heater is under the hood on the right (passenger) side inner fender. That may be a tiny corner of one end of it, in one of the extreme closeup pictures.

There is a blower fan in front of the rad support that blows air thru a metal duct, through the heater, and then through a cardboard duct into the car. I believe they used cardboard or paper mache for sound deadening. That other thing may be the temperature control.

The whole heater may be lifted out  by removing the hoses and a couple of clamps.

The heater core is inside the metal box.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Your car has Fluid Drive and probably has the self shifting M6 transmission although some came with a plain 3 speed manual. If you are not familiar with these transmissions suggest you do a search in the Chrysler or Dodge section for Fluid Drive. They require a certain driving technique that is not obvious, but quite easy once you know how. I have typed out the whole thing a hundred times and if I have to do it again will lose my will to live. Just look in the Chrysler section, there were a couple of long threads in 2008 that laid out the whole thing.

You have to remove the five Phillips head screws that fasten the delicate fiber heater duct to the firewall first.

Then use a putty knife to work the duct loose from the firewall.

Lift the firewall end of the duck up and off and away from the heater box.

There are four bolts./nuts.... two of each that fasten the heater box to the inner fender panel. two 7/16" bolts at the front...two buts that retain the rearward band clamp at the bottom.

remove those and the complete box can be lifted out with the core.

The other way to remove the core is to remove the heater box side cover after first removing the top linkage.

I would try to save your heater duck if it is in very nice condition.... the replacements don't look quite like the factory ones.