1964 Buick Riviera Gearbox bolts

guslopez1964

Hello,

I had a question, I been looking for some gearbox bolts for my 64 Buick Riviera (425 Nailhead), but the only place I found was Orginal Parts Group, but they are on backorder. Is there another place folks have seen to get some? Are there other years or Models that would fit my Rivi? Any help welcome, thank you. 

Are you talking about the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine, flexplate to torque converter, or where?  Most bolts could be replaced with hardware store Grade 5 or Grade 8.  I want to say the transmission to the engine is 7/16-14UNC but I'd have to measure length to quote how long they'd need to be.

Okay after much back and forth, I found one bolt that I could use as a sample. The bolts for the power steering gearbox to the body are two 7/16-14- X 3- 3/4" and one 7/16-14 X 3" bolt. 

I went to my local Orchard Supply Store and they do not carry these bolts, their length jumps from 3 1/2 to 4". The place that has been very helpful is https://alloyboltz.com/ they have gone back and forth looking for this bolt, only thing gonna pay $8 in shipping for one bolt, but hey they carry it. Gonna try one more local place to see if they carry it, if not bite the bullet and order from alloyboltz.  I got lucky and ended up finding the 3 original washers for my car.  

• 2 months later...

The easiest way to chase threads on a bolt you cut is to first thread a nut on the bolt past the point where you make your cut. Then when you back the nut off the bolt, the nut will chase the threads on the bolt. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...