straight 8 pulling locations?

51_Buick

Hello, I have a 1951 Buick Special model 46s. I was looking into a while back on how others where pulling their straight 8`s. i got some good information, but no on had mentioned on where to pull the engine from. I am no stranger to pulling engines as my job is working on forklifts. I plan on pulling the engine and trans together as an assembly (263 & dynaflow). where would be a good position to rig up a chain to pull the engine? i have the engine pretty well stripped down (manifolds, fuel pump, starter, etc.) if anyone would have a picture or video on how i should rig up a pulling device that would be awesome! thanks in advance, Alex. 

If you have the rocker cover off the top, use four of the head bolt locations with slightly longer bolts and washers. Those threads are plenty strong enough, go all the way into the block, and it will distribute the weight evenly so it hangs level when you pull it. Here's me, my father, and my friend Andy pulling the engine from my '41.

Removal_2.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The picture is from "Buick Modified"  Ben Bruce "Modified 263 for my 1950 41D" lifting his engine with rockers in place.  Personally, I`d remove everything that could be taken off the engine, even the head, to make the load light as possible, then use lift chain on top of block bolted in head bolt holes, pulling block with trans for good balance of the load being lifted, put lift chain between cyl 5-6. Are you just removing hood and pulling engine?  Do you mean engine hoist in previous post?

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 51_Buick said:

Does anyone know how much a straight 8 weighs? I hope my engine stand can hold the ole girl. 

The 320 weighs 769 pounds, the 248 surely weighs less but not a lot less. It's also six inches shorter, which can certainly help. But it's still a long engine so make sure you're using a stand that's up for the task, not a generic stand for a small block Chevy. Here's what I had to do to get it on my engine stand (which was built for a diesel):

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

The picture is from "Buick Modified"  Ben Bruce "Modified 263 for my 1950 41D" lifting his engine with rockers in place.  Personally, I`d remove everything that could be taken off the engine, even the head, to make the load light as possible, then use lift chain on top of block bolted in head bolt holes, pulling block with trans for good balance of the load being lifted, put lift chain between cyl 5-6. Are you just removing hood and pulling engine?  Do you mean engine hoist in previous post?

Ok, I have the entire front end apart (hood, fenders, grille, etc.) so I think if I just put me hoist on it and unbolt the trans and engine I can lift up and pull it out. 

7 hours ago, 51_Buick said:

Ok, I have the entire front end apart (hood, fenders, grille, etc.) so I think if I just put me hoist on it and unbolt the trans and engine I can lift up and pull it out. 

Won`t have to lift it near as high with all the front off, good start..

• Like 1