Common Sense Fasteners

hddennis

Working on the canvas top for my Maxwell and even though I bought the double fasteners the top has two spots that are too thick because of seams to allow the fastener to turn and lock.
 Does anyone know if an extra long fastener is available?

Howard Dennis

There was a triple made, but I don't think I've ever seen them reproduced, you'd have to find some or scour Ebay.

If you just need two, I can look through my bins and see if I have any triples....

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't found any by now, check with Jeff at Restoration Specialties. They just bought out a couple suppliers and has stock on hundreds of thousands of top fasteners. i asked if they had any triple common sense and he said that he did, just a matter of finding them again.They even got a bunch of stuff for carriages. Ph 814-467-9842 East. time

jpage, Thanks for the response and source. It may help a future searcher. I ordered some brass cast reproduction triples from Lang's Antique Auto Parts. They were so tall I couldn't stretch my canvas over them no matter how hard I tried. Since I just barely missed fastening what I had I decided since nothing else would work maybe I could flatten my existing fasteners. I placed the canvas on a steel block and smashed them. It may have shortened the life of this canvas but for the time being I'm able to fasten two pieces of canvas on the same double fastener.

Thanks also to all the other responders with sources for fasteners.

Howard Dennis

100_9993.JPG

• Like 1

Nice ambulance Mr. Dennis. There was an original WWI Ford ambulance that showed up at Hershey several years ago that the owner found in France along with a lot of original accessories. My grandfather was in the veterinary corps in WWI serving with the field hospitals in France and Germany. There unit also had a fleet of GMC motor ambulances, all with nice big white wall tires!