Oil leaks engine

25 Buick

Probably a silly question. But does anyone on here have a leak free Buick engine?

i know the technology is dated but has anyone managed to reengineer or rebuild an engine to where it is leak free.

interested in the solutions before I start on my rebuild of master 6 engine, in case of any modifications needed along they way.

only interested in engine oil leak fixes or remedys thanks in advance 

NOT ME!    Not for lack of trying.  Mine is 25 years newer than yours. Same thing.  Gaskets "weep" or "wick".   The parts do not match perfectly.  If I had unlimited funds, I would  O ring every thing.  I don't.  

My 263 had to come apart for a sleeve. As it was reassembled, I paid close attention to  "joints" .  One place these later engines like to weep is the junction of the oil pan and the timing cover. Major misfit. I spent a whole day working this area. "Filled" the channels, cracks, etc, with grey gasket maker, a little at a time. This after, to the best of my ability , all gaskets [ 3 of them] were rendered level. Coated the pan gasket with the grey sealer. ALL OF IT.    The back of the oil pan is about the same. Did the same as the front. THEN cleaned the OUTSIDE surface of the pan/block with degreaser and coated the seam with the grey sealer. I intend to cover this with several coats of engine paint. Did it work? We will see. Hopefully install it next week. 

Good luck

Ben

4 hours ago, 25 Buick said:

Probably a silly question. But does anyone on here have a leak free Buick engine?

i know the technology is dated but has anyone managed to reengineer or rebuild an engine to where it is leak free.

interested in the solutions before I start on my rebuild of master 6 engine, in case of any modifications needed along they way.

only interested in engine oil leak fixes or remedys thanks in advance 

Believe it or not, my 24 Buick does not leak unless I accidentally bump the drain valve lever.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

If you replace all of the original felt seals with new felt, they will probably do a good job for a while.  These are the upgrades that I am doing for my 1925 Buick Standard.

- front timing cover lip seal (same as for a Master/24-6cyl)

- fan hub seal replacement with sealed bearings.(verify my drawing below with your parts).  Search "Fan Hub" as others are making the hubs.  

- installing an oil seal on the transmission front cover. There is no seal on these.  (not sure how this compares to your car.)

- Installing lip seals instead of packing in the waterpump (but this requires a new water pump shaft).  I have a shaft drawing if you need it.

- I am working on specs for installing a lip seal on the output shaft of the steering box.

-I have not gotten to the engine rear main seal yet to know what I am installing here.

Hugh

This is the procedure to replace the timing cover seal with a lip seal.   Timing Cover Seal installation.docx

5adcbb39f21ef_FanHub1.thumb.JPG.d9095043b8210ea6bd534135741ce4ed.JPG

5adcbbc526d65_InputShaftSeal.thumb.JPG.73c00f9ca57aab2725f3cc8f8aeed44b.JPG

5adcbe9aa6f5b_Waterpumppackinggland.thumb.JPG.b097ca49b8c7e2df0d846a1a83abe87a.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

My machine shop put an O-ring in the steering box output shaft bush. No leaks.

Did they

a ) machine out the the very end of the steering gear output shaft housing to hold the O ring, or

b ) just squeeze it between the end of the output shaft housing and the pitman arm?  

I believe the original design was a felt washer called the "Yoke shaft felt washer"  254960.   Very little of it left on mine.  On the model A I recently worked on, they sell a lip seal, and you machine the output shaft housing to accept this lip seal.  

My car has some wear in this output shaft bushing, so I was planning to replace the bushings and ream it to the correct size.  Then I was going to modify the housing by cutting a groove in the end of the output shaft housing to accept a narrow lip seal. 

Hugh

IMG_6057.thumb.JPG.9818b2a7d22d64bd496d85b0d36e7b8d.JPG

76.thumb.jpg.bc6f89e2a8508745209b7c6538587ac1.jpg

77.thumb.jpg.30c91bc5314ab3f90cbfee5fdb1a77ff.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Did they

a ) machine out the the very end of the steering gear output shaft housing to hold the O ring, or

b ) just squeeze it between the end of the output shaft housing and the pitman arm?  

I believe the original design was a felt washer called the "Yoke shaft felt washer"  254960.   Very little of it left on mine.  On the model A I recently worked on, they sell a lip seal, and you machine the output shaft housing to accept this lip seal.  

My car has some wear in this output shaft bushing, so I was planning to replace the bushings and ream it to the correct size.  Then I was going to modify the housing by cutting a groove in the end of the output shaft housing to accept a narrow lip seal. 

Hugh

Mine is a 1930 Dodge Brothers with a Gemmer box. The O-ring was put in a groove cut into the sector shaft bush near the end. The semi-fluid grease doesn't leak much unless the box gets hot. Mine does get warm because being RHD it is near the exhaust manifold.

• Like 1