Paint for early 1926

Mpgp1999

Hello

I will begin painting soon. I will not do the painting myself, I will have it done professionally. The color I want is dodge brothers blue 1. I do not know what the original black was. To have it as original as possible I do not know what type of finish to have I.e. matte or glossy. I also do not know what type of paint they used from the factory. Weather it lacquer or enamel or some other kind. 

Thank you 

matthew 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

I'm using PPG Corvette Black, single stage enamel for my fenders, aprons, bumper bars, etc.

It doesn't get any blacker than that. Correct me if I'm screwing up.

Single stage enamel for the body.

GOD KNOWS what color.!!!

I keep going back to the gray. Black moldings or I guess belt. 

Bill H

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)

Back many years ago the generally accepted substitute for Dodge Brothers Blue was Studebaker "Admiral Blue".  This was, if I remember correctly, a late '50's Studebaker color and what I used on my DB Touring restoration, which was an AACA Senior Award winner (they didn't have the Grand National awards back then). If you can find a period color chip book you can probably have your paint supplier match it for you.  We now use mostly PPG products and have had good success with their "Profit" paint matching system. Not that long ago I was looking through my paint cabinet and came across the can of Sherwin Williams straight enamel that we used doing that car. Remarkably, what was left in the can was still good!  Good luck!

On 3/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, Mpgp1999 said:

Hello

I will begin painting soon. I will not do the painting myself, I will have it done professionally. The color I want is dodge brothers blue 1. I do not know what the original black was. To have it as original as possible I do not know what type of finish to have I.e. matte or glossy. I also do not know what type of paint they used from the factory. Weather it lacquer or enamel or some other kind. 

Thank you 

matthew 

Matthew,

These will answer some of your questions. It also should settle the engine color debate.

Page 20 21.JPG

Page 22 23.JPG

Edited by Machinist_Bill (see edit history)