Replacing speakers + head unit

BEMSTER 3

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 1990 Reatta and unfortunately it seems that all four speakers are blown and the tape deck is nonfunctional. I just have a few questions before I get to work replacing these parts.

What are the specifications for the speakers? I don't need exact replacements but I don't want to upgrade the amp, so I just want to know what type of speaker I should be looking for.

With the stock head unit, the antenna goes up when it is turned on. Will the antenna still go up if I use an aftermarket unit? This is probably a stupid question, but I don't want to screw anything up so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks for your help guys! I did see that other thread, but I thought I would ask here because it didn't seem to mention the wattage or impedance of the factory speakers. I'm worried that I'll end up buying speakers that won't be compatible, even if they are the correct size. Does anyone know these specs?

Factory installed fronts are 10 ohm,  rears are 4 ohm. This was done primarily as the design of the factory radio incorporates two IC power amplifiers, one for the right channel, one for the left, so that each chip is loaded with the same impedance. Sound level is typically biased heavy to the rear in car audio, so the lower impedance drivers in back give some emphasis in the sound level.

You'll be hard pressed to find aftermarket speakers that are 10 ohm, those were made special for Delco to GM specs, most everything in auto sound made now is 4 ohms or less. 

Just to pass along. They make an adapter that turns your cassette player into a Blue Tooth receiver. Simply put it into the cassette and activate with your Smart phone. The sound is really top notch, sounds great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Audio-Cassette-Adapter-Receiver-for-Cassette-Deck-with-Bluetooth-Black/162651016688?hash=item25dec18df0:g:~LwAAOSwGNdZpZLe

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KDirk said:

Factory installed fronts are 10 ohm,  rears are 4 ohm. This was done primarily as the design of the factory radio incorporates two IC power amplifiers, one for the right channel, one for the left, so that each chip is loaded with the same impedance. Sound level is typically biased heavy to the rear in car audio, so the lower impedance drivers in back give some emphasis in the sound level.

You'll be hard pressed to find aftermarket speakers that are 10 ohm, those were made special for Delco to GM specs, most everything in auto sound made now is 4 ohms or less. 

Good information to know. I've added it to the speaker size tutorial on ROJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing all the speakers and the headunit, everything sounds great. I bought two pairs of Pioneer speakers for the front and back and a basic JVC CD player along with an adapter kit and harness. The whole deal only set me back $130 and it doesn't look too bad either. The only problem is I forgot to plug the radio antenna in, but I never use the radio so I'll deal with that later. Removing the door panels was not the most fun I've ever had but that aside it was simple to install everything.

20180411_191202.jpg

It looks really good, congrats!!  I agree with you about the dreaded door panels. I never did figure out how to disconnect the wiring harnesses so I had a friend hold the door panel away from the door and replaced the speakers that way. A real pain in the butt! As far as the antenna wire, I would haveto dig back and install it, I am very finicky that everything works properly even if I do not use it, that's just me :)

• 4 years later...
On 3/28/2018 at 12:55 PM, KDirk said:

Factory installed fronts are 10 ohm,  rears are 4 ohm.

I just replaced the speakers on my 1990 Coupe.  Fronts were Delco 4 Ohm, rears were Delco 10 ohm.  Opposite of what I've read everywhere else.  I'm replacing with front 10 ohm, since the only 10 ohm speakers I can find are 5.25" pin cushion.  And rear 4X9 4 ohm are easy to find.