1950 Chrysler Trans swap

Rockabillytim

Hey guys,

I have a 1950 Chrysler Royal 251 inline 6 with the fluid Drive semi automatic transmission. I just had this car rewired from 6 to 12 volt. The person that was rewiring it was not aware that the transmission had an electrical component and all electrical components of this system we're taken off. As far as I know I believe that the solenoids and governor we're not good as well. The car runs in will shift from low to high while driving but obviously that's like driving in 2nd gear. Does anybody know what Transmissions will bolt directly to the Spitfire 251 inline 6 from other vehicles that may have used that engine. Also I was wondering if anyone have done a swap like this before and if it's easy to use the current column shifter as a 3 speed on the tree.

IMG_20180304_151716_212.jpg

Unless you're installing an air conditioner, going to 12V is a huge mistake.  Can you reverse it?  For Goshen's sake, WHY did you find it desirable?

The M-6 transmission is bullet proof if a bit strange by modern standards.  Did you search for M-6 troubleshooting?  Going to another transmission will cost you far more than converting 6V tor 12V.

Eagerly awaiting seeing suggestions from the MoPaR gurus.

Rockabillytim, 

If you plan to go to a different engine in the future, then I suggest that you avoid the hassle and expense of making bellhousing adapters,  new crossmember, shifter mechanism (maybe a different column too), custom drive shaft, new vacuum ports for the modulator, and torque converter adapter, etc, etc, to make a different transmission bolt up to an engine you're soon going to replace.  And don't forget that the transmission tunnel in the floor pan may not be long enough, tall enough, etc. Making all those major-surgery changes is a lot of work and expense...especially for a temporary fix.

If you're going to a different engine, then go for it now, and put in a matched pair engine and transmission at the same time. You'll have enough of a project doing that. (Getting exhaust manifiolds and pipes to clear the steering column and brake system components, fabricating new frame mounts for your motor and transmission mounts, shifter linkage system, additional radiator capacity, better brakes, custom driveshaft, etc, etc. 

Sincerely wishing you good luck. 

• Like 2

You *could* look into installing a stepdown (12V to 6V) for the trans components (and for any original electrical gauges), but I'd test those components first.  AND get a wiring diagram and study it thoroughly.  You say someone thought the transmission's electrical components were bad, but if your original wiring was a mess they may not have worked properly--wiring condition is the most common cause of failure of the shifting, not the other components.  And if you used the same-as-OEM gauge wire in your 12V conversion, it will work on 12V.  12V components use half the amperage of 6V components, and amps drive the wire gauge size (need heavier wire for 6V). 

Your shifter has no first gear stick position on the column.

Sounds to me like the car is to far gone to easily put it back to stock.

Pull the front clip off and get a Mustang II cross member with power rack and pinion.

You will never be able to fit any V8 in there with the stock steering in place.

Stuff your engine and trans of choice and make mounts and a rear x member. Fit a radiator.

You will probably have to use aftermarket gauges to know if you have any gas in the tank. And radio etc.

There is an outfit that sells 12 volt wiper motors (New Port engineering).

You will have to swap out a rear end housing if you want a parking brake. Do that before you have the drive line made.

Probably wont be driving it this summer unless you have LOTS of time and some $ to keep you going.

Now it would be of your own creation and that is very satisfying at the local cruises, and the coupe is the most desirable one to have.

Several ways to go here.

Go kick the so called mechanic in the ass and make him change it back the way it was. This is the best way.

Dodge did offer a manual 3 speed with Fluid Drive. This trans has a long input shaft to go with the Fluid Drive system. It is the only manual trans that will work with your Fluid Drive. It would be the easiest to adapt.

Find a Canadian made Dodge or Plymouth flathead six and cabbage the transmission, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, etc. and put them in your car. I know someone who did this back about 1960. Today it will be hard to find a pre 59 six cyl car in the junk yard, back then not so much.

Find a good hot rod shop and have them adapt a modern  trans, driveshaft and rear axle. You have to change the rear axle because your car has the hand brake on the trans. If you replace the trans you need a rear axle that has the hand brakes on it. Wilcap makes this adapter kit for $730 to put a Chev automatic behind your engine.http://www.wilcap.com/chryslerfh.html  It should be possible to get this done for under $5000.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 more way that might work although I haven't tried it. Put the components back on the trans (99.9 chances out of 100 they are in perfect working order) and run the 6v stuff off a center tap on your battery.

What did your so called mechanic do about the 6v positive ground starter, generator, coil,  wipers, radio, heater blower, lights, turn signal relay, etc etc etc?

• Like 2

1950 is a tough one to do an engine swap. It was the last year for the 6 cyl only, next year they offered a V8 and the engine compartment was made wider.

On your car interference between the engine and steering box is a problem. Usual solution is to offset the new engine to the right. A Chev V8 fits about the easiest especially if you use a mini starter.

Have your ham fisted mechanic fit a Chev engine and trans and your troubles are just beginning. You still have to deal with radiator, drive shaft, rear axle, etc plus all the 6V parts he was too incompetent to handle in the first place. Changing the engine and trans still leaves most of the electrical system to deal with.

• Like 1