Brass era transmission oil. Anybody using this?

KLF

Has anyone been using Chevron MULTIFAK EP 00 in their trans and rear end? It is caramel in color with a viscosity similar to cold honey and is intended for high-pressure industrial gear lubrication. A friend recommended this product. I had never heard of it. It's a semi-fluid grease. It solves the leaky seal problem and also provides some additional benefits including a viscosity that tended to slow the transmission gears, thus allowing for a faster double-clutch shifting. I believe this is in my 14 Premier's transmission now. It does shift very easily. I'm wondering if there is any issue with corrosion of yellow metals with this product.
Ken

Hi Ken. First , is there any yellow metal to be concerned about in your trans or rear end ? As this 00 grease is EP , it could be so in part due to the sulphur which causes the erosion. High pressure gear lubrication which is an EP semi-fluid grease would be great stuff for worm gears. Your transmission, of course , has no need for EP , though 00 is a good viscosity for a crashbox. In the unlikely event your rear end is worm drive , you will need an EP lube there. If not , you have absolutely no need for EP. Hypoid gears also require EP , but in 1914 Gleason Gear Works was still a decade or so away from developing hypoid. And then at that point , general use of hypoid for automobile gears was another decade or so in the future. To sum it up , if no yellow metal , no worries ! And if no worm gears , no need for EP ! But I do not know if this particular grease is corrosive. On the other hand , you can be sure there are 00 greases which are not EP. I use 250 weight gear oil in my mid '20s Cadillacs. I do put a tube of grease in the trans also. It is a high impact grease designed for extremely heavy duty service in mining machinery. I still occasionally blow a shift.   ?    - Carl 

Yes, we have been using products like this for many years.  Maybe 10?   It is excellent.

I just finished a pail and need to get another.  Current material is Conoco 1044025, Dynalife L-EP 00.

It has all the benefits Ken indicates above.  Hard to get into differential , but with big funnel and patience and disposable gloves

it all works out.    I recommend...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I've never had the transmission or rear end apart on the Premier so I don't know if there is any yellow metal in it. In my 12 Oakland there are a couple of bronze bushings so that's why I asked the question. However from what I see here I don't think I have any worries on using this product. Thanks for your recommendation Bob. I'll get some on order. The summer touring season will soon be here!

Ken