A Little Off Topic - Hershey

TonyAus

Sorry to get off topic but I have to start somewhere.  After a couple of false starts we've decided to do a tour of the US later in 2019.  As Hershey is on the bucket list it will be included.  In researching the logistics it appears that Harrisburg should be good for accommodation over the week but I can't seem to find anything about transport between there and Hershey.  How far is it in terms of distance and time? Is there a bus service or similar? What about cabs?  Does anyone have any general tips about getting around?  I'm sure that many on this forum are well versed in this annual pilgrimage and hope that they might share their experience.  Of course we'd be looking at attending the Dodge Brothers Club dinner.  Thanks in anticipation

Tony  

Tony, if you are going to be there all week, Tuesday through Saturday, get rental and a flea market space. You can drive in and out every day. Bring a few parts and a table and enjoy yourself. The spectator parking is right across Hershey Park Drive but costs $15 a day. Add the convenience and a flea market space is worth the price. You do have to be an AACA member and have a PA. sales tax number. I live about  mile from the show field. Make sure you come to the DBC dinner Friday night, too. It's in my home town and I sell the tickets.

Thanks for the suggestion but we will be travelling light from Australia.  My preference is not to drive in the US .  Cost is also a consideration with $US400+ car hire for a week plus $15 per day parking.  Would cab fare could be less than that?  I find it hard to believe that a local shuttle bus service is not available - could be a good little earner for someone.  More suggestions please.

Out here in the sticks we don't have taxis. If you can get to the AACA museum they have a shuttle  bus. The museum is only about a mile from the show field too and parking there goes quick to the wigs. I THINK there is a shuttle bus from K Mart to the show field too. That is about 1 1/2 miles. At least at K Mart it would be free parking all day. 

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure about if there is a regularly scheduled bus route between Harrisburg and Hershey.  Your hotel should be able to recommend a taxi/ride service for which you can reserve a ride each way.  I suspect the cost may approach that of hiring a rental car for the week though.  If you do decide to rent and plan to get to the grounds early, parking near one of the entrances will be no problem.  If you arrive later it will just mean a little bit longer walk to the entrance. 

Uber is easy to get between Harrisburg and Hershey at much less cost than a cab. Last year a one way run from the West side of Harrisburg to the show field ran me about $37.00. In the morning you might not have surge pricing, in the evenings you do.