I removed a 1953 hood by myself pictures

Our Buicks

With the help of a small forklift.......

I'm usually by myself so I just made a small sling for the hood and lifted the forks of the lift just slightly to take the weight off the cowl attach points.

1 bolt on each side outside the car and then 2 more bolts on each side under the dash just above the kick panels.     Hinges still attached to the hood.

went pretty easy.......but I was afraid the hood when disconnected would swing into the windshield.........it didn't and it just hung there.

Next up I gotta figure out how to get those doors off.

Mike

0130181512.jpg

0130181512a.jpg

0130181520.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re doing the doors yourself use your engine hoist and a couple 2 inch ratchet straps.Open the door fully. One around the front one around the back,jack it up till you have LIGHT upward pressure and unbolt it. Once free you can back it out. Done and one person can do it. You might also want to blue tape the edges to protect the paint.

Mike 

Good job on the hood l like your strap idea on the hood did you remove the hood springs or cage them before you pulled the bolts for the hinges?

The doors are straight forward, hammer impact driver with a Philips will loosen the 3 screws per hinge on the A pillar. I recall one screw  head on top and bottom hinge being covered by a weather seal that is held in place with a metal retainer, has small Philip's screws. Then the wires and hydraulic hoses will need  pulled through one way or another.  Next the door stop  needs attention Philips also but the spring loaded door stop will bite you be careful. I use a hydraulic table for lifting doors, roll it under the door take the weight of just a tad remove the screws and roll the door away.

Steve

7 hours ago, buick man said:

… good job but when I read the header I envisioned some photos of you just grabbing the hood and tossing it into the corner of the shop ….  :blink: - dave

lol Dave!!    the days of me lifting anything heavier than my morning coffee are over.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 195354 said:

Mike 

Good job on the hood l like your strap idea on the hood did you remove the hood springs or cage them before you pulled the bolts for the hinges?

Thanks Steve!     I started with the hood in the up position so the springs were in an unloaded state.... they didn't even move a bit when I pulled the bolts......they just stayed in place with the hinges

Thanks for the tips on door removal............I do have a small roll around hydraulic door adjuster tool around the shop somewhere...........I usually use it to pull the front or rear bumpers off or hold them up to put them back on the car......I'll use that for the doors..........boy I hope those big Philip head screws don't break.......     Mike

50 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Hi 

wondered what model your 53 is?

Interested as I have a 53 convertible , not good at identifying, usually look for portholes , but none visible in your photos .

good luck with restoration. You have  some serious kit ?

cheers

This car is the Skylark.......Rusty......bad floors, crunchy trunk........but car is complete.

This is the Slattery auction car from Wisconsin........I probably paid too much but it looks like its going to be a fun restoration.

http://www.wyoderauction.com/catalog/111235/car-collection-of-jack-slattery-saturday--nov--4---10am/

My goal is to make a nice driver out of her........

Mike

• Like 1

53 skylark!, My favourite Buick  lucky man. From what you paid, you have plenty of flexibility on what you invest into her , I suppose much depends on what you can restore yourself and save on labour costs . As the car is complete , you’ve already saved a fortune.

as your starting with appears a blank canvas , interested to know what original colour scheme was and what you plan for her.

watch with interest as you progress, going to be envious ?

cheers

pilgrim

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

53 skylark!, My favourite Buick  lucky man. From what you paid, you have plenty of flexibility on what you invest into her , I suppose much depends on what you can restore yourself and save on labour costs . As the car is complete , you’ve already saved a fortune.

as your starting with appears a blank canvas , interested to know what original colour scheme was and what you plan for her.

watch with interest as you progress, going to be envious ?

cheers

pilgrim

Thanks Pilgrim,

Body tag says Reef Blue......blue & white leather interior......... and I think a black top......

I was wondering is the black top on a Blue Skylark unusual??      Seems like a white top would look better.

I have a Dresden Blue, 1955 Cadillac convertible with a white top.....and the car looks pretty good.

But for the Skylark, I think I'll stay with the body tag info....

Mike

2 hours ago, Our Buicks said:

Thanks Pilgrim,

Body tag says Reef Blue......blue & white leather interior......... and I think a black top......

I was wondering is the black top on a Blue Skylark unusual??      Seems like a white top would look better.

I have a Dresden Blue, 1955 Cadillac convertible with a white top.....and the car looks pretty good.

But for the Skylark, I think I'll stay with the body tag info....

Mike

Sounds great , but agree with you ,  I think the white top  would look better than black with blue , caddy sounds nice 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)