1956 gas tank?

So I might need a gas tank..I  topped off and it's leaking a little.. Pretty sure it's just from the sending unit but I might replace the tank anyhow... My question is does anyone know for sure if the 11.5 inch one from bobs automobila will work.. Seems like it will and its been implied it will looking online but just curious if anyone has used it.

Agreed only 17 gallon.. Which makes me wonder about the sending unit.. Everyone claims the same sending unit works for many different years but I'm sure they all had different size tanks.. Maybe I'm over thinking it...I  checked  tanks inc.. Same reality and price range

I think the issue of the sending units is the resistance in the sending unit and the vehicle's fuel gauge.  The tank capacity might have some bearing on it, but the main issue is the sending unit's resistance.  In another forum, there were postings of the replacement senders for particular cars not matching the instrument panel gauge's resistance.  They posted pictures of an electronic device that would be externally wired-in to fine tune the fuel gauge readings.  To compensate for any resistance mis-match of the gauge and sender resistance values.  About five different adjustments, I believe.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Sending units are measuring the depth of fuel in the tank so if the height of the tank is the same for both 19 & 17 gallon tanks the sending unit reading should be the same for both tanks and I'd expect the gauge reading to be accurate for both with regard to empty to full but actual gallons would be different. When fitting a replacement tank if one is not able to find an exact replacement the most important measurement is the height of the tank (and then, of course, filler location).

If the depth is the same, but the width is different, same thing.  The other thing is that some tanks' volume is not accurate for what's advertised.  End result could be that "they're all the same, but advertised differently."  As long as the sending unit registers "Full", then the other gallonages can be determined with use.  Or calibrating the fill from empty by filling it with 5 gallon gas cans for the major volume and then 1 gallon cans for the final fill.

NTX5467

If the two fewer gallons is because of the depth, you'll need to find a way to compensate.  Perhaps even finding a sending unit from the car originally for which the tank was originally designed.  You'll need to compare the ohms on which the sender runs.  If the two fewer gallons is due to the length or width, you'll be good to go.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)