Locomobile 1909 Model L Restoration

alsfarms

IMG_20210810_083450656.jpg.4897d13c7988e176314ae3338fd736fa.jpgHere is another little progress report on the Locomobile steering quadrant disassembly.  With a good amount of careful persuasion with torch, penetrating oil and many light taps with a hammer and pin punch.....success was mine as the throttle lever came off undamaged.  See the pictures.

Al

• Like 1

Next up will be the removal of the spark lever.  I will need more gentle heat on the spark lever as the retaining pin is tight in this one!

So far so good with no damage.  I am close to the point that I can send the steering wheel out for a new rim to be installed.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is certainly a good feeling when a solid plan comes out exactly as figured.  Today, with a bit of careful persuasion and nice little love taps, out came the spark lever retaining pin.  A bit more kind persuasion and off came the spark arm and also the quadrant arm.  I am now free to remove the steering wheel lock nut in order to remove the steering wheel.  That will be another day.  As stated before, this quadrant assembly is right in front of your face every time you sit in the drivers seat and I did not want to mar anything during disassembly.  I was successful!  I will attach three pictures of the progress.

Al

IMG_20210811_185138911.jpg.328b8eb0c1544cd98e192fd36694b35e.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked into several steering wheel restoration specialty shops, that do steering wheel hard rubber rims replacement and refurbishment.  What I am learning is that I will be learning silicone pattern making and will be making the repairs myself due to the horrific cost charged for repairs.  Who reading here can recommend the best "Smooth-on" material for this specific application?  Fortunately, about 2/3 of the Locomobile Model L steering wheel rim is good and I can use the good portion to make a pattern to repair the rest, which is missing.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Al

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good News to report!  Our USPS (snailmail) system has worked again....thankfully.  A box of loaner quadrant parts to be used as patterns to reproduce the same parts have arrived safely on the east side of the US.  I am glad to help out another restoration of a Locomobile Model L.

Al

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been busy sorting out the needs of another Locomobile, but now need to return to active duty with the 1909 Locomobile Model L Toy Tonneau project.  I am going to proceed now with the duplication of the Vanderbilt Trophy radiator ornament.  I am duplicating a version of the Trophy ornament that is the same (mostly) as mounted on the radiator cap but this version was designed to be a desk top or paper weight piece for static display.  It is possible and a reality that you could purchase two of these, one for display on your desk and one to correctly modify for installation on your favorite of all Locomobile.  I will attach a picture for your evaluation, of my trophy. If you are interested, PM contact me and we can discuss this project.

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Hello John,

Here is a question for you regarding your Locomobile Model L rear end rebuilding.  Do you think, after going through the rebuilding process, that there is enough adjustment in the pinion to allow for a smaller ring gear, to improve the gear ratio?  I have been thinking about that idea and would like to hear your thoughts on that subject?

Al

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It has been a busy spring and not much new on the Locomobile Model L restoration.  This spring has been full of harsh spring windy microburst weather.  On top of restoration projects on the Model L and the 48, I now get to replace one out building roof and siding on another out building.  What fun is that......none!

Al

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

It has been a busy spring and not much new on the Locomobile Model L restoration.  This spring has been full of harsh spring windy microburst weather.  On top of restoration projects on the Model L and the 48, I now get to replace one out building roof and siding on another out building.  What fun is that......none!

Al

So does that mean I don't get my ride the week of Pebble this year?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Pebble is a very good option but not this year.......darn it!  Have you had the White out lately?

Absolutely ........it goes to every weekend. That's why it has wheels. 👍

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The heat of the summer is sure on top of us!  It is hot and dry! But that doesn't stop steady progress, however.  Over the past few months I have been working to figure out the running board mounted spare tire brackets.  I had none and thought I would be building patterns and having a new set cast.  I touched base with another collector who is in the middle of "lightening" his spare parts load. As luck would have it, I was able to purchase some good original and useable parts.  See the attached picture.  I also got a pair of recast brass bottom supports. The top bracket in the picture mounts to the firewall.  The two brass brackets mount to the running board.  The bottom bracket mounts under the driver's seat.

Al

IMG_20220714_133940189.jpg.d417212a5e0ee994ed63669094718777.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Here are a few pictures of the discharge casting that was the result of our four cylinder Locomobile enthusiasts from Grand State of Pennsylvania. The pattern making was excellent and the bolted up fitment is good. This piece makes complete the muffler for this 1909 Locomobile Model L. I will post three individual pictures.

Al

One

IMG_20230403_123357211_HDR.jpg.9b3d9b1a9fc658e369b5c78e98d86f0a.jpg

I am happy, regarding the Model L, for sure. Now, I can think of other missing items that I know I will need to build or maybe find.  To answer your direct question, the main "big" items I am missing are the skirtless rear fenders.  I also will need to build the fender irons, but I don't see that as a huge problem, just time consuming. Other items.....I am not sure but I may need to machine a few small pieces to make my clutch throw-out assembly fully and correctly functional.

Al