Oil Pump Relief Spring replacement

Hubert_25-25

The oil pump pressure relief spring for my 1925 Standard is past spent, and I have seen others with broken springs.    Has anyone had to replace their spring, and if so, do you have any contacts that would make a new spring?  

I have the following specifications and my existing spring measurements.

Oil Pressure Spring specifications - 2 1/8" free length, 1 5/8" long under 10 oz. of pressure. 

Existing spring 1.305 free length   .055 Wire size x .40 ID and .515 OD -  12 1/2 wire wraps - flat ground ends.    

Thank you,    Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Hugh

There is a spring company local to me that will make all manner of custom springs. I had them make me a set of push-rod springs for the '25. Usually about $20 for the set-up and $3-5 for each after that. CDN pesos of course.

I can inquire if you want .

Brad

• Like 1

Mike and J,  Thank you for the comments.  I have begun looking for available substitutes, but keep running into walls with what will work.   Size most of the time, but honestly the biggest issue is the specification claiming 1/2" travel on 10 oz. of weight.   Converting this I have "5/8 of a lb should move the spring 1/2".  Thats not much weight for a lot of travel.  The websites look at spring rates in regards to number of lbs required to move a spring 1".   So to move 1", I need 1 1/4 lbs.  Most of the springs use a 10 lb weight to move a spring 1" with my wire size, so something is not lining up.   

Brad, 

I think it would be good to have a new spring made.  There are several websites that have choices of springs to choose from, but none seem to fit the specifications well.   You might consider a new spring as well.  Mine is pretty squished, and had a lock washer under it to help it.  I know it was an old trick back in the day to drop the pan and stretch the spring or shim it to get the oil pressure up.   I wonder what your spring or Larry's or Ron's spring with a 1lb weight on it deflects to.  As squished as mine is, I am going to see what it actually deflects to.

So my current spring is 1.305" long resting.  It just doesn't look like it used to be 2 1/8"  I wonder if the specs for the spring stated in the manual  could be incorrect?

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Thanks Ron,  I am looking forward to finding out what spring information you have.  

When I compare the data on my spring to theoretical data based on the spring spec in the manual, the springs are not even close.  Yet springs that fit the bore and the post on the spring bolt are hard to find, so I am thinking this is the correct spring, but I could be totally wrong.  

Interesting data in the 2 charts I am posting  
I would consider making new springs, but I don't even know what to make them to.  

So to check the spring I have, I used a coat hanger and a nail, and a couple of jugs filled with water that I weighed.  Then I used my micrometer and measured the spring length.
Hugh

5a013e8d7ce01_OilPumpSpring2.thumb.JPG.b9d2230cf3d46428f8d1a69969217a1b.JPG
5a013e543d255_OilPressureSpringData.thumb.JPG.d9dad8367f27dd2357fd2cbcfcc4eebd.JPG

Hugh

The spec in the book for the ‘26 is correct. The original spring in my pump was broken and had managed to wind itself in to itself making it too short and of course it wouldn’t compress. Luckily I had a spare pump and the spare spring compresses as per the specifications and the resting length is right. 

There are many different types of wire that will give different spring rates.  Not many standard stock springs will match.  I suspect you will need to find an original, or get a one wound to your specs.  If you have a lathe, and you want to play around, you can try to make your own.  I have done this many years ago  when a production machine was down and needed to get back in operation fast.  I can explain the process if you want to attempt to make your own. 

Don't worry about the number of coils.  get the correct rate.

Bob Engle

• Like 1