Really need a pro to identify this car

Guest Pitchafit

Guest Pitchafit

Team.  A long lost photo of my mom and dad.  I really would welcome anyone that can identify this car. It has a long type fender on the side.  Please help.  Thanks you so much. Tim

AA94565E-72DE-485F-8E93-11F54CC32CE1.jpeg

14 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

Looks like a '42-'46 Chevy Fleetline coupe.

On further investigation, I'm handing it partially back to Dave Henderson.   It's a "42 or "46  Chev "Stylemaster"  Coupe.

"Stylemaster"  models had plain fenders. "Fleetlines" included the 3 trim bars on fenders. 

Coupes could have 3 bars or plain, but all Aeros were Fleetlines w/3 bars.

Guest Pitchafit
  1. Wow, thanks for the help.  All of you have narrowed it down to a few possibilities.  I added the only other photo I have of the car.  My dad (long gone) is sitting on the same car.  Thank you all again...Tim

Dadoncar.jpg

23 hours ago, drwatson said:

On further investigation, I'm handing it partially back to Dave Henderson.   It's a "42 or "46  Chev "Stylemaster"  Coupe.

"Stylemaster"  models had plain fenders. "Fleetlines" included the 3 trim bars on fenders. 

Coupes could have 3 bars or plain, but all Aeros were Fleetlines w/3 bars.

Thanks. 
As I understand it there were 3 trim lines offered, the Stylemaster being the lowest, and I believe the name originated in 1946.  The subject car appears to have been changed a bit, the hubcaps don't look original, the stone guard on the rear fender looks like it has been painted, it has a sun shield, and unless I'm mistaken the belt line trim which is bobbed short on the hood should extend forward these years.  If a Stylemaster should it have the trim around the windows?   
In the "Production Figure Book for U. S. CARS" by Jerry Heasley,  the 1942  Aerosedan falls under the heading "Fleetline BH", and for 1946 the Aerosedan falls under the heading "Fleetline".   What he is saying is Aerosedans were a subset of "Fleetline", which corroberates drwatson.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

I owned some of these vintage Chevrolets a few decades ago now. One being a '46 "Fleetline" it was a black car and all that trim really made it pop. It was a great looking car. If memory serves the '46 and '48 had wider trim installed while the '47's trim was narrower. Great pictures,they brought back a lot of memories for me thanks for sharing. 

When I was about 14 I bought one of these from a local farmer for fifteen bucks with my paper route money.

I don't recall what trim level as all I cared about is that it ran and the brakes worked.

I drove it around for a few weeks until a rod started knocking. I was not easy on things in those days.

The wrecking yard gave me my $15 back as it had fair tires.

That yard always had something that ran for cheap, like 20 to 30 dollars.

I always felt rich when I would turn one of those for 50 or 75 bucks after a vacuum, wash and maybe a wax.

The old story of what I should have kept. Dang, the old good days.