metal sheathing

kclark

There it is. I was looking under Studebaker. But this brings up a question. should my wiring be the metal sheathing or the braided wiring?

There was an older restoration done on the car, so I'm not sure if they kept the original or put new/different in.

My GE Dictator also has this cable. I have wondered about the reasons for using this cable since I don't think the shell is bonded to anything like a conductor. Was it for protection against animals that would damage the wire or perhaps to prevent accidental damage that would result in a short circuit?

The term used is armored cable. If you go to post #202 in the "Early 1920 Studebaker?" thread you will see a file I posted for the original wiring for a Light Six.  Perhaps you can glean some info from that to give guidance. I believe they used that type of covering for any of the wiring that would be exposed to chafing on other parts....headlights, horn, taillight, main power.

Scott

This armored cable is called BX by electricians and is available from http://www.southwire.com/products/ProductCatalog.htm

Galflex®
Type RWS Reduced Wall Steel Flexible Metal Conduit

Steel Flexible Metal Conduit. High Strength Steel Strip. UL Recognized Component in 5/16". UL Listed in 3/8" through 3". CSA Certified for Trade Sizes 5/16" and 3/8" Available Upon Request.

Edited by rbk (see edit history)