Ethnol ruining rubber fuel lines

Old26Buick

Yes, Yes

60FlatTop, You are doing the right thing, if you are running any ethanol blend.  he said, " I don't let the car sit. I run a lot of gas through it,  And I keep the garage above freezing and dew point all winter"

Not letting it sit for, and regularly using the vehicle and keeping it out of the damp, cold, storage environments  is key to using the junk ethanol.

Just remember, the politicians who are so set on us using ethanol to clean up the environment; probably don't even own a car. They ride limousines around the city and fly big luxury jets all over the world. The ethanol  problem never reaches them.     

Bernie's carburetor looks better than this one. This is a Rochester HV on a Corvair that sits more than it should. Both carburetors looked the same. A yearly take them apart and clean this debris out. Note, the sintered brass fuel filters are always clean. The regularly used ones do not seem to develop these issues.

First shot is view into fuel bowl. Second shot is debris left after dumping fuel from the bowl through a rag.

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

If your state allows use of ethanol free gas you can probably find a station listed here, look at the bottom of the page to find the listings for each state. I recommend calling ahead as they list places that may only sell to marine applications or small engines, not autos, but in Oregon we are lucky to have legal access for our cars.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Plus, believe it or not, here's a page on our official state government site with info describing negative effects of ethanol and where to buy the "clear" gas.

https://data.oregon.gov/Recreation/-Clear-Gasoline-locations/qwux-prpy

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

the sintered brass fuel filters are always clean...

... Second shot is debris left after dumping fuel from the bowl through a rag.

Are you using a second filter in series with this original one? if that debris is getting through, seems you should.

19 minutes ago, MarrsCars said:

If your state allows use of ethanol free gas you can probably find a station listed here, look at the bottom of the page to find the listings for each state. I recommend calling ahead as they list places that may only sell to marine applications or small engines, not autos, but in Oregon we are lucky to have legal access for our cars.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Thanks for that. Turns out one of my local stations sells E0 gas. A bit pricy. But since it's readily available and I really don't use that much for my other than daily drivers it makes sense for me to use it and not temp fate.................Bob

28 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Thanks for that. Turns out one of my local stations sells E0 gas. A bit pricy. But since it's readily available and I really don't use that much for my other than daily drivers it makes sense for me to use it and not temp fate.................Bob

That's an important observation, the cost is definitely higher. I pay at least $1 more here per gallon but it can be up to $1.75 more if I am not within range of my preferred station.

38 minutes ago, MarrsCars said:

That's an important observation, the cost is definitely higher. I pay at least $1 more here per gallon but it can be up to $1.75 more if I am not within range of my preferred station.

Actually not that bad. It's whatever the cost of premium 91 oct is. Right now it's $3.17/gal. Thanks again for the heads up....................Bob

• Like 1