What are your thoughts on this car?

Xander Wildeisen

Sorry, Jack. I misunderstood. I don't know how many of you are familiar with these GMC V6s, but they were able to produce remarkable amounts of torque. They were really coveted by guys who hauled loads and, especially, those who drove in the mountainous parts of our land. They could be ordered in a standard GMC pickup. As far as the V12 version goes, I remember that they also found some use in industrial applications. I read about one that was used to drive irrigation pumps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_V6_engine

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Makes a ton of torque and barely off idle according to the interview.

I don't remember ever seeing one of the twelves but remember a ton of the sixes.

Of coarse these were new when I was coming up. Don't see them much anymore.

I do remember that the V6 got terrible mileage. But could tow a load.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

I think there is one right around the corner from me. Sitting in a parking lot, in front of a auto salvage company.

Is that the V-12?  If so, a photo would be appreciated (at least by me).

Cheers,

Grog

One of the last gasoline big truck engines to be introduced, if not the last. Diesels were already taking a big share of the heavy truck market. The big GMC V12 was a powerful motor but got 2 -3 MPG which is why it never caught on and was phased out after a few years.

They made a V6 version too. The V12 had its own block and crankshaft but shared heads with the V6. The V6 was similar in displacement to a typical V8 but was heavier, torquier, made less HP and burned more gas. But they would haul a heavy load with no trouble.